About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Homesick

David and I have been here for three weeks now, and I am officially homesick.  It hit me pretty hard this weekend, and I find myself spilling tears quite easily.  I miss Mike.  I miss home.  I miss my kitchen (did I really just say that?).  I miss my coffee maker.  I miss English.  I miss my car.  I miss using U.S. currency and a debit card (mine will only work at an ATM, not for purchases).  I'm tired of keeping track of so much cash for so many different things, especially in a different currency.  I miss my TV that only has a few channels to choose from.  All the channels available here just cause problems.  I miss Mike.  (I already said that, didn't I?).  I think the only things I don't find myself missing are the Texas heat and being awoken at 4 a.m. by my dogs.  I know how badly I wanted to be here, but now that we have Juan David, we're all just ready to be home.

Our upcoming little trip this week has actually caused me quite a bit of stress--over the timing, the finances involved, and just the planning part of it all (which I haven't really been a part of--we're just going along with what our friends have planned).  It made me wonder if we were even supposed to go, yet I knew I would always regret it if we didn't.  Then it hit me just a little bit ago that it is our gift to Juan David and Julian to be able to spend a week of vacation together.  If we were not going, Julian would not have taken off work, and we might only have been able to see him one or two more times before leaving.  I believe very strongly in the bond they have as brothers, and I don't ever want them to lose it.  I hope it will be a memorable time for them, as well as for me and David.




2 comments:

  1. Rachelle, I am so happy for you guys! God will make a way so that Julian can join you in the future. Hang on, enjoy every moment and remember God will see you through this whole process. Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I noticed today which I think you should consider... soon Juan David will be "in your shoes" sort of speak, he will probably feel homesick even though he is home. Praying you guys will enjoy and learn to love each other and that the cultural differences will not be so many once he is officially part of the family! Wanda

    ReplyDelete