About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Settling in

We've been here for a week and a half now and have almost completed our first week with Juan David.  After getting things set up (rooms, closets, refrigerator, telephones, internet, etc.) and getting reacquainted with friends, we finally started to settle in and let the realities of our new life sink in.  I won't say that the tension did not start to mount around here rather quickly, but David and I had a long, heart-to-heart talk last night that led to a new daily schedule that we will commit to follow whenever it is in our control.  I also wrote out some basic ground rules that we found to be necessary to keep everyone happy.  (With David, we've never had much of a need for rules--just basic principles and values that guide how we live.) So now everything's written out in both English and Spanish, and we have it all set under the glass in the main table so everyone can see it. 

As a teacher, I should have known how much more secure a simple schedule would make everyone feel, but somehow it surprised me to see both boys checking and following the schedule almost religiously today.  Now they know when they can watch TV, when they can play on the computer, when it's time to go outside, when we're going to play a game together, when it's time to be quiet and read, when they can have a snack, when we're going to eat our meals, and when it's time to practice English.  I even know when I will have a chance to check my e-mail or write on my blog.  Hopefully it's a good start to a great summer together even though everyone is living out of their comfort zone.  I know we still have a whole world of challenges ahead of us, but all we can do is just take things a day at a time.



My summer Bible study is starting this evening back home.  I am saddened to not be part of it, but I am so encouraged to hear how many have signed up for it.  I know without a doubt that God laid that study on my heart to teach because it's the study He prepared for all of those ladies this summer.  I'm so grateful for my friend who agreed to lead it in my absence. :)

Unfortunately, I didn't bring a single Bible study workbook with me this summer due to space.  However, today I got out David's little Bible and have committed myself to memorize the rest of the book of James that I didn't finish memorizing during our last study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment