About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, June 9, 2013

We are here!

Thanks to some good friends who took us to the airport in DFW and a good friend here who arranged to have someone pick us up at the airport here, we arrived safely and without any problems.  We landed at the airport at 3:30, got through immigration and customs very quickly, and met someone outside holding a sign with our name.  He already had the address to the apartment, so we got here even before five a.m.  We met up with the man who had the keys to the apartment, he gave us a little tour and welcomed us to our home.

Priorities first, Mike got all the computers and phones hooked up to the internet so we could let everyone know we made it, then we all unpacked and got ourselves situated.  I made a cup of coffee to enjoy on my new little balcony that is just off of the master bedroom--can we say I'm more than grateful?  If you know me, you know that my front porch is my favorite place to be in the morning.  

I fell right into bed after that and slept for about four hours.  Mike and David watched TV for a bit first, so they're still sleeping.  I'm ready to take a walk down the street to the mall to find a Crepes N Waffles for lunch, get a SIM card for our cell phones, and stock up the fridge.  

It looks like we've got everything we need here in this apartment.  Three bedrooms.  Free wi-fi internet.  Huge TV with lots of channels.  DVD player.  Washer and dryer.  Fully stocked kitchen.  Two bathrooms.  A beautiful balcony.  A table with four chairs to seat our soon to be family of four.  I was a little nervous coming to this apartment because we didn't know this area and didn't even know the person who owns it.  However, I found it through a pretty professional organization, and so far we're very impressed.  Seems to be a pretty safe, secure location.  

We all agreed that this trip is rather weird, feeling so routine up to this point.  What do we do when school's out?  We head to Colombia.  We told Juan David a year ago that we'd be back in June to see Julian and that we'd try to get him out to spend a few days with us again.  The other day I got a surprise message from him reminding me that we said we'd be back in June and that he was anxious to see us. (He still didn't know about the adoption.)  Then Saturday, 30 minutes before we left for the airport, we found out that they finally told him on Friday that he's being adopted in just a few days.  He was as happy as can be, saying, "That's what I've always longed for!"  Mike considered that to just be icing on the cake. 

Just a few more days.  We plan to make these few days until then very memorable for David.  He's so excited to be here again.  For an eleven year old, he sure has had some very rich life experiences, broadening his worldview more each and every time.  I think he's a pretty lucky kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment