About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Kitchen disasters already

If you know me, you know that the kitchen is one of my least favorite places to be.  Not only do I hate cooking, I'm just not comfortable with anything that is kitchen related.  Yes, we get by on the basic dinners, but only if they're quick and easy.  So, you can imagine that if I'm not comfortable in my own kitchen, I'm definitely not comfortable in a foreign one.

Well, I've been here for a total of four days so far, and I'm already having disasters in the kitchen.  First, I used the wrong kind of dish in the oven (hey, it was stored with all the casserole dishes....), and it broke.  Then this afternoon I went to get a glass out of the strainer when it just randomly broke.  Early this evening, Julian was with us, and I worked hard to make a nice little dinner for us.  I made some breaded chicken patties in the oven and also baked some french fries.  I took the chicken patties out, laid some cheese on them, and put them back in to finish.  Finally, I took it all out of the oven and set both dishes on the stove. Mmmm.  It all sure looked really good.  I put a chicken patty and some fries on one plate, and as I went to set it down, the dish with the chicken patties started sliding off the stove, landing upside down on the floor, shattering into pieces.  Not only did I destroy the casserole dish, but there went dinner.  The second I heard the crash, I screamed, and poor Julian came running to my rescue, grabbing a broom to sweep up all the glass.  We didn't lose the french fries or the first chicken patty I'd already served on a plate, so Julian got the yummy dinner, while the rest of us quickly made up some ham sandwiches to eat with our french fries.

I'm going to have to start a list of everything that I'll need to replace before I leave.  Let's hope it doesn't get too much longer or we're going to have to start eating off of napkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment