About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Integracion

Today we had our second meeting which was called Integracion (Integration). We passed with a favorable interview, signifying that we have successfully integrated as a family unit. First they interviewed Juan David, and then they interviewed Mike and I.  Our answers to all of their questions all matched up very well, and she told Mike and I that Juan David really, really, really wanted to be a part of our family.  She said our prayers for him over the years have worked because she couldn't get over how respectful and sensible he was.  She said she really couldn't even tell that he's been living under protection for so many years.  That's not just our prayers for him, though.  I know many of you have prayed for him faithfully for the last five years, even after our first attempt to adopt him failed.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

Since we're using our own attorney, a few things have fallen through the cracks with things that the agency usually takes care of, like assigning us a translator, a driver, etc.  So they've let me translate for all of our meetings and everywhere we go. We are so much more comfortable this way, though, because it keeps the communication clear between us and our attorney.  Makes me feel good to know he's fully confident with my Spanish.  Love that man and all he has done.  He's absolutely amazing. I highly recommend him to anyone.  Anyway, he is sending us one more paper to be signed so that I can take Juan David out of the country without Mike, and then Mike is free to go home so he can return to work.

Our dear friend Zayde is meeting us tonight at Monserrate (the infamous mountain where my first book concluded).  We plan to return to the top of the mountain, have a special dinner to welcome Juan David to the family, and take pictures as a a celebration of all the success that today signifies. 

Our papers can now be presented to the courts, and next week we will start with Juan David's medical exams.  The following week, we have permission to travel on a little vacation outside of Bogota with our friends (Zayde's family), who we traveled with last summer when we went to Apulo.  I will post our new family pictures this evening or tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment