About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Our Colombian miracle(s)


Eight years ago, the word Kidsave made me want to hide under a rock and never come out. I'd followed the stirring in my heart to meet two Colombian children coming to the United States with Kidsave, loved them with everything in me, spent every penny we had to adopt them, only to be left empty-handed, broken-hearted, guilt-ridden, and absolutely humiliated.

I just couldn't even begin to fathom why God let us hear about Kidsave, why my heart stirred to meet those kids, why our paths ever had to cross, and why they still ended up without a family. Why did He let me love me love them and then not let them come home.?

Yeah, you know my story by now. And you also know that God did have plans for those kids, for us and for their older brother, too, who didn't get to come to the United States with them. God was writing a story far grander than I could have imagined, a story He's still writing.

Through our loss came so many opportunities and blessings. Three trips to Colombia, countless friends in Colombia, two books (technically three), an adopted son, a trip to Spain forever connecting two families, a failed adoption grief support group, a writing/speaking ministry, three siblings connected and in touch with one another, and a testimony that makes my heart bulge with gratitude. And those are just the blessings on my side. There are countless more from their perspective. Plus our experience led to many positive changes in the whole Summer Miracles program.

Now here we are, eight years later, no longer hiding under a rock in humiliation, but standing on it, ready to advocate for the next child given the opportunity to come here in search of the family God has already chosen for them. It was an absolute honor to sit down with Kidsave (for the first time) just a week ago with my photo books in hand to show them all the good that came out of our story.



I am so thankful for Kidsave giving my son, and his sister, a chance to come to the United States, and I am so thankful that we followed the stirring in our hearts to meet them. No, they didn't end up together. But if we had not loved and pursued them both, we may not have sought to reunite them years later. The story would have fallen short. It was all part of a beautiful plan.

Kidsave is now preparing a new group of kids to come to the United States this summer to experience life with a family and to hopefully help them meet their forever family. And guess what? They're hoping to bring at least 5-7 of them (or more) to the Dallas/Fort Worth area--if enough families will step up to host them in their home.

If you are in the DFW area and have a heart to possibly adopt an older child or at least have the space and resources to host one of them (or a few of them), please check out this website with several pictures already posted of some of the kids coming. Kidsave Summer Miracles program

Please feel free to share this post or the website, as well, to anyone else you might know that may be interested. If you know my son, Juan, you know what a happy, fun-loving "boy" he is. Imagine his life if he'd never had the chance to come here and meet us, the family God prepared him for and prepared for him.

I look forward to working with the DFW Summer Miracles program this summer in any way I can. God allowed me to travel the world last summer, so I felt the need to stay home this year. How exciting to know that a little piece of Colombia will be coming here.

If God is stirring something in your heart, don't ignore it. We're so glad we didn't. It wasn't (isn't) easy. But it's worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment