About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, June 17, 2013

Missing pieces

They say that one thing that's especially hard for adoptive children and adoptive families is dealing with a life full of missing pieces.  I thought about that when I looked through Juan David's memory book that the orphanage gave him.  A handful of pictures from his childhood, and that's it.  Fifteen years old and he walked away with a small backpack, the clothes he had on that day, and a little memory book.  Everything else stayed behind.  I'm thankful for the pictures we have from when he came to the States.  I'm thankful for the pictures that I've gathered from Julian over the last three years.  Yet so many years remain missing.

Yesterday I took a walk with our friend who knew the three of them since they were little.  Julian specifically asked me not to take Juan David down a certain street close to where he lives, so I left Mike and the boys playing on the soccer field while I took a walk with her to get ice cream.  Before I knew it, she started pointing out several of the places where they had lived.  She told me how and where she met them and explained the kind of childhood they lived.

She filled in so many missing pieces, stuff that I'll never find accounted for in the paperwork they gave us.  Stuff that doesn't even exist in their files.  She's also pretty sure she has a bunch of pictures stored away somewhere that she promised she will try to dig out for me.  I'm so thankful for her and for the God-ordained connection that I have with her.  I also thank God for giving her the opportunity to be reconnected with both of the boys, now many years later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment