About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, June 7, 2014

We survived!

Our 2013-14 school year officially ended yesterday, and I am happy to say that we all survived.

I survived my first year teaching Pre-K.  I didn't expect the change or even know about it until shortly before school started, and I started the year without a clue about how a year with four-year-olds might actually go.  I flew by the seat of my pants, playing trial and error over and over again.  We all survived, though, and my kids learned more than I ever imagined they could learn.  I gave them structure, consistency, and high expectations.  For the most part, they rose to the occasion and met those expectations.  At the same time, a really neat friendship developed between my assistant and me, making the year an even greater blessing than I ever could have asked for.

Here is a pic of one of my little girls whose dad happens to work at my church.  I'm gonna miss her sweet personality!

Photo 

David survived his first year of middle school.  So much newness in that boy's life.  First year to change classes and have a locker.  First year at an Academy.  First year with a brother.  First year to share Mom and Dad. He definitely struggled his way through and is more than happy to have sixth grade behind him! At this very moment, he's on his way to Austin, Texas for five days of youth camp.  

Photo: Off to camp. So thankful for his good buddy that goes with him every year.

Juan David survived his first year of high school and his first year of school in the United States.  He absolutely loved his school, his teachers, his classes, and he also made some amazing friends.  Mike and I had our doubts at times throughout the year regarding whether or not he should have stayed in the newcomer program all year, but we are thankful now that he did.  He'll have some extra catching up to do later if he wants to graduate with this year's freshman class, but I'm sure God will guide us through those steps later.  For the moment, he's not a bit hesitant to share how sad he is that his year at that school has come to an end.  All he can talk about is how much he's going to miss seeing his friends.  

Lots of newness for all of us.  Lots of changes.  But we survived. :)

Photo: We have officially survived!  First year of PreK, middle school, and high school, along with our first year as a new family.  I cannot even begin to explain how much I need this summer.
http://www.fromtheheartofrachelled.blogspot.com/2014/05/summer.html

No comments:

Post a Comment