About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Embracing opportunities for rest

Contrary to popular belief, teaching is not a very restful career.

Teaching Pre-K is restful when I go home because I very rarely take any work home with me, but by the time all forty-four rambunctious little ones go home, my energy is pretty much spent, anyway. (Just ask my friend who subbed two days for me while I went to the NABE conference!)

But when I find a moment to rest, I am learning to embrace it.

Like today. David's counselor called two weeks ago to say she needed to set up a conference that each and every freshman needs to have with their counselor and a parent to go over their graduation plan. The latest she'd schedule a conference was at 2:00 p.m. Since my school doesn't get out till 3:10, I had to take a 1/2 day personal day and get a sub. That gave me a 3 hour lunch before the conference, and then another two hour break before I need to go to David's soccer game.

Nice. I got to sit out on my porch with a book and a cup of coffee after I made my lunch and caught up on some laundry. Now I get to spend a little time to blog while sipping on a yummy smoothie. And I got to spend a half hour with my son, talking about what he wants to do (or doesn't know what he wants to do) with his life. (Sigh.  The poor boy is clueless when it comes to finding his interests. Soccer and mission trips are the only things he can put a finger on at this point. Thankfully he's quite immersed in both.)

I've also learned to embrace a quiet start to my day. Not just my usual quiet time at 5:00ish while everyone else still sleeps. But now Mike takes David to school, I push Juan out the door as early as I can (which isn't always very early), and then I have between 20 to 30 minutes of absolute quiet before I have to leave. I might enjoy a second cup of coffee, catch up on some reading, talk to God, play with my cat, etc. I leave the house feeling calm, rested, recharged, and ready to face the day. Maybe once a week or so, I'll leave early so I can take David for doughnuts and catch a few minutes of one-on-one time with him.

Besides making some significant changes to my schedule to help me balance out my life a bit, I will also say that I'm thankful for two suggestions my doctor made for me that have made a world of difference in how I feel. Extra Vitamin D3 and Magnesium. Since November, I doubled the amount of Vitamin D3 I was taking every morning, and I take a small dose of magnesium every night. I finally sleep soundly and feel more rested in the mornings than I have in years. I even feel rested after waking up at 4 am because my body slept so soundly all night. Wow. I truly feel like a different person.

Rest. Physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual rest. It does the whole body good. I am so thankful I decided to start listening instead of just plowing through life at breakneck speed. I am able to tune in to the small moments and embrace them, whereas they may have passed by me unnoticed before or I may have shoved them aside because I didn't have time for them.

Well, the clock is telling me break time is over so I can make it to David's soccer game. So far, his team is undefeated. :) I'm so thankful for this beautiful weather to sit outside in today. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment