About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Verse 4, #SSMT17


"The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy."
Psalm 126:3 NIV

This verse pretty much sums up my last few blog posts about some pretty big stuff God is doing in our lives. Leading Juan to DBU, a very direct answer to a prayer I started praying last summer. Bringing sweet "Viviana" back into our lives, a direct answer to a very personal prayer I prayed in the summer of 2015. Not only did we find her, get pictures of her, send a few e-mails back and forth, and then connect with her via social media, but the door quickly opened up to start making plans to see her--to finally turn that dream into a reality.

To see the place God whisked her off to on that bittersweet day back in 2011, to meet the mom who God prepared for her, and to experience a taste of the life God always planned for her. To actually "see" that she is right where she belongs.  

I will never forget that moment between me and God at a retreat in May of 2010. "Okay, God, I give them back. They are yours. Even if I never know another thing about them. I trust you. I trust you to fulfill your promise to not leave them as orphans. I trust you that you love them more than I do. I trust you that you'll join them with the right family in your time."

"Trust me, child. Your purpose in their lives has not yet been fulfilled. Keep holding on."

God gave Juan David back three years later.

Now almost four more years after that, I get to continue playing a role in her life, to give her brother back to her. To see how much she still loves and adores him absolutely melts my heart. I am so glad I never gave up hoping and praying that God would give her back to Juan David--because for all I know, she was likely praying that God would give him back to her. 

I'd planned on taking Juan David back to Colombia for a visit this year to celebrate his graduation, but as soon as we found his sister, we both instantly agreed that if their relationship progressed enough, we wanted to go to Spain to reunite with her instead. I can hardly believe that dream might actually come true. :) I've been keeping an eye on the flight prices, which have dropped several hundred dollars since I started looking, but we still need to wait on several more details to fall into place over the next month or two before we can actually purchase those tickets. My ultimate dream would be to get Julian there, too.

Yes, God has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.  I cannot tell you what it means to me to have her back in our lives again. I love posting pictures on Instagram and seeing her like them. I love waking up to his phone in my room making sounds because she is sending him a message. I love watching them talk on Skype, sharing a little bit more about their lives with each other. I love seeing her pop up on the computer to say hi, giving me the chance to send cute little messages back and forth with her.

I just want to soak it all up and cherish every bit of it. A true miracle--all in God's perfect time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment