About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Heaven

I write today's post with a heavy heart after just learning that I lost a dear friend to cancer this week.  She and her best friend were part of the very first Bible study I ever taught, and they've been my dearest friends ever since.  She was diagnosed with colon cancer two years ago after running a half marathon.  Chemo worked at first, but sadly, her cancer returned six months later.  I still saw her often at church, and she always displayed such a beautiful smile along with incredible courage.  I heard two weeks ago that she'd been in the hospital for a solid week due to severe pain, but I don't think anybody understood how little time remained.  I couldn't believe it when I heard the news this week.  My heart aches for her husband and 13 year old son, and my heart hurts for her best friend.  Their friendship was amazing, and I'm sure there's a gaping hole in her heart now. I'm stuck grappling with the why again, wondering why God took her while still so young and full of life.  Why some people win the battle against cancer and some don't.  Yet I'm comforted to remember studying Heaven together in Bible study and knowing that she's there, in the presence of Jesus.

On a lighter note, we made some positive memories this week as a family.  Mike celebrated his 37th birthday.  Juan David really enjoyed being part of our small family celebration, as this was his first time to celebrate a dad's birthday.  He'd decided he wanted to start saving the majority of his money from the allowance we give him, but he ended up spending everything he'd saved to get a hat for Mike.  I was really proud of him for making that "sacrifice" for his dad.  This Wednesday will be Juan David's birthday, then David's will follow ten days later. 
 
David finally saw the orthopoedist on Friday.  They decided to cast his arm since he is so active, which means that he can jump right back into soccer.  So, a few hours after getting his new blue cast, he headed straight to soccer practice.  Funny kid. :)  We all signed his cast, and he had his artistic brother draw a big cross on the side for him.  Then he had his soccer team sign the cast, as well.

This soccer season will soon be coming to an end, but not without one last busier than ever week.  Juan David's last regular season game is Tuesday night, but then both boys are in a tournament from Wednesday through Sunday, so we've got at least one game every day.  Saturday we have three games!  Then the following Monday, David has one more regular season game.  Soccer keeps us super busy and can be tiring, but at the same time, I love watching both boys play, they're both incredibly passionate about the game, and I miss it when it's over.  Plus they go stir crazy when they're not busy playing. 

Juan David has been very pleasant to have around lately.  Since it's getting a little colder, he's been letting me drive him to his bus stop every morning, and we wait for his bus together.  It gets me to school a little later, but the extra ten minutes with him each day have been nice.  Considering he's nearly 16 years old, I will cherish every moment that he wants to spend with me.  Sometimes I find myself just staring at him, remembering what a miracle it is that's he's even here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment