About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Upside down

I'm feeling a bit mixed up and upside down these days.  So glad to be back in the land of familiar, back in my house, driving my car, taking baths, and sleeping in my own bed.  Yet there's no real sense of normal around here, so I can't say all is familiar.  Our home is divided into two languages with me being the official translator.  David is learning what it's like to have a sibling, while Juan David is learning what it's like to live in a quiet, tranquil environment.  Big change for both of them.  My biggest surprise this week was finding out that I'm going to be teaching PreK this coming year instead of second grade.  Not sure how I am feeling about the change yet.  I suppose there will be many pros and cons no matter how I look at it.  I'm quite saddened to be leaving my awesome new Venezuelan teammate that I just gained last year, my amazing second grade team that I worked so well with, and the room I've made my home for the last six years.  I know God had His hand on the decision, though, so it must be time for a change.  I think I will be in shock for the whole first month of school!  Going from 7 year olds to 4 years olds is quite a drop!

We've been home for a solid week now, and I'd say we've done a lot, though we've played it pretty low key.  Juan David is registered for school in a Newcomer program for high school kids.  He's also begun getting caught up on all the shots that were so conveniently "lost" with his shot record in Colombia.  We've introduced him to our church, our discount grocery store--and our budget, our local library, our close friends who live around the corner, to Chick FilA, McDonald's and Cici's Pizza, to his new aunt, uncle, and cousins, and to a rather quiet, family life.  While at home, the Wii has been running almost non-stop between both boys.  Next week we have a full schedule of appointments with dentists and doctors--all those appointments that we try to squeeze into every summer. 

I'd like to say that I've made some progress on my second book, but I think God is telling me I need to wind down and process it all first because I'm struggling through some serious writer's block.  When He puts the rest of the story in my head, I know it will come flowing out.  Who knows when that might be.....


No comments:

Post a Comment