About Me

My photo

I am a wife, daughter, mother, bilingual teacher, poet, author, women's Bible study teacher, world traveler, orphan advocate, and an adoptive mother.  Our adoption journey has been filled with a lot of hurt and loss, along with even more hope, grace, and healing.  Through it we have experienced more of God than we ever bargained for and have watched Him miraculously redeem our story when we surrendered all the broken pieces to Him.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ok, it's been fun, but......

Our friend took us to a "fitness club" here in Bogota so the boys could go swimming.  David finally had enough of his strength back to thoroughly enjoy himself.  
Photo: David feeding the parrots. 
This was David on his last morning before coming back to Bogota.  He sure does love those animals.  Here he was feeding them pomegranites that he picked from the tree right beside the parrot cage.
David chose the human hamster ball while everyone else in the group chose the boats.  Julian is in the first boat, and Juan David is in the green boat.

Photo: David found a friend. 
David with another furry friend he made.
A better, close-up pic of the historical monument in Boyaca
Photo: Changua....quite an interestingly tasty  Colimbian breakfast. 
Changua--a very interesting typical breakfast that Juan David absolutely loves.
Photo: All that food for about $8! 
One of our typical morning breakfasts at the bakery.  We all leave full for less than $8 total.
Photo: My new favorite bakery  :-). 
The bakery has the same name as the church we've been going to!  We are more than happy to support a Christian owned business, especially one that advertises the name of Christ.
Photo: Arequipe sundaes at McD's 
Juan David's first trip to McDonalds.  We told him that with a McDonalds just down the street from our house in Texas, we tend to go there quite a bit for ice cream.
Photo: A little slip n slide action today  :-)
Slip n' Slide at the Christian school on their last day of summer school.  Neither one of them wanted to stop playing in the water that day.

This week has been another one of those waiting weeks.  Our friend took us swimming, had us over for lunch and then later we had Juan David's Embassy medical appointment on Tuesday.  We got there, and no one had any record of our appointment.  My friend who took us talked to all of the doctors and found out that the "appointment" we had wasn't even with the right doctor because that doctor only sees kids 13 and under.  So the right doctor agreed to see him, and we got everything taken care of.  Juan David passed for a healthy adolescent, and he had to get several shots.  The orphanage lost all of his shot records, so we had to start him all over, plus we've got to get the second shot of several of them once we get home before school starts.  

Wednesday morning I called my lawyer, and he said the sentencia (adoption decree) was ready, that he was just waiting on the seal from the judge.  He expected to be able to call me later to meet him to sign it, but alas, that didn't happen.  I called him last night, and he said he's still waiting on the judge.  He gave me the address to meet him and told me what to have with me at all times so that if he calls me at any moment of the day, we will be able to meet up with him to sign it.  Then he'll go with us to get the remaining items (new birth certificate, ID card, passport, and visa--all this can take a few days) so Juan David can successfully enter the United States.  Yesterday morning he seemed hopeful to finish things up this week.  Now it looks like we're into next week since the sentencia wasn't ready yesterday.  Our apartment is only available until Monday, so we are packing things up to at least leave this apartment on Monday.  Our friend has graciously offered to let us stay with her family for our remaining days until we leave so we don't have to stay in a hotel.  What a heart of gold.  God has his hand on us.

We've experienced a lot, we've had a lot of fun (some days), but......

I'm so ready to go home. 

 We all are. Managing expenses with Mike there and us here has gotten quite complicated (especially when he's had to fix my car twice now--first the brakes, now the starter).  Managing as a single mom with a little boy who misses his Daddy incredibly has been difficult. There have been many tearful phone calls. Laying down the law and parenting a teenager without my husband beside me (the father that this child has always needed) has been trying.  I'm spread thin.  Traveling without Mike is one thing.  I love to travel.  Adopting an adolescent child while traveling without Mike is another.  It's not something that I was ever meant to do without him.  We signed up for this together.  I miss him, and I need him by my side.  We need to be home....together.

No comments:

Post a Comment