About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Regina Stone Matthews

 In my early years of attending Rockwall Christian Writer's Group, I made a friend who's remained a close friend for the last ten years. She had written and published maybe two or three children's chapter books at the time, and now over the years, she's had 14 total books published. I started inviting her to speak to my second graders about ten years ago, then she also started to come to speak to all of our kids for Career Day. 

I never got to have her come in 2020 due to COVID, so I asked her to make a video that I could share with my class virtually that year. We couldn't have visitors last year, either, so I shared the video with those kids, too. She was all set to speak for Career Day this year when our school suddenly switched to Level Red for too many COVID cases, so they had to cancel the event. Knowing this was my last year at Bullock, I was determined to still bring her in to visit my second graders before the year ended.

So we finally arranged a date for the last week of school, and I quickly set to reading three of her books aloud to my students to study up on our visiting author before she came. The day finally arrived, and I loved the kids' excitement when she walked into the classroom. As soon as they saw her, they all yelled, "Regina Stone Matthews!!!!"

I'll still be introducing my new students to all of her books, but I sure will miss having the opportunity to have her come speak at my school. Looks like we'll have to arrange a Zoom meeting!

Here are some pics of her visit today:








No comments:

Post a Comment