About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Making new memories with my dad

If you know me very well at all, you've probably learned 3 things about me. I love to write and prefer using the written word as my main form of communication, I am rather quiet and reserved in a crowd but come alive when I teach, and I am very passionate when it comes to teaching and leading women's Bible studies.

What you might not know is that I get all that from my dad. We happen to be quite a bit alike.

My dad's a quiet kind of guy unless he's behind a pulpit, he's been writing for years, and he obviously has a deep passion for teaching and guiding others in Scripture. Here's a picture of him holding his first book and me holding mine. :)



On our 2016 summer road trip, we finally timed our travels just right to take Juan David to my dad's church so he could hear his grandpa preach. While we walked around exploring the building, I found this article up on a bulletin board, my dad's written testimony, along with several other articles he's written and published. I think I learn more about my dad through his writing than anything else (sound familiar?).








Before we left, I had the privilege of giving my dad an extra set of my books for his new church library as they move into a new location soon and change their name to New Beginnings Bible Church. 



With both of us being the introverted and quieter type, I didn't grow up talking a whole lot with my dad. But every time we visit my parents now, I realize how much I'm just like him.

I've even finally acquired a taste and appreciation for the coffee he likes to drink so much, so drinking coffee with my dad is a whole new memory in the making.

I found it funny when he grabbed a random mug out of the cupboard to pour me a cup of coffee one morning, and look at the mug he brought me. A mug from the school I've enthusiastically (and quietly) taught at for the last 13 years.


Thanks, Dad, for passing your gift for writing, enthusiasm for Bible teaching, and your passion for digging deep into Scripture on to me. Oh, and your introverted personality--it's kind of fun being the mysterious one that people don't always know how to interpret. 

Now if only I could have gotten Mom's sense of direction.

Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment