About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, June 25, 2022

A week to be remembered

 What a week it's been. Sitting here on my couch this morning trying to process it all, wondering, "Did this all really happen in one week?"

I started out the week on Sunday morning taking bags of clothes to Goodwill after the garage sale, trying to come up with some sort of plan to celebrate Father's Day. The house was still no where near ready for the realtor to come take pics the next day, and Mike unfortunately had to work all day. Juan wanted to celebrate Mike, and I wanted to "protect" Mike from any added activities, knowing he needed every last minute he had that evening after work to get the yard done and still work on cleaning up the garage and driveway. I could feel the weight of his stress, but I had a really hard time communicating that to Juan, who just wanted to do something fun with his dad.

We took him lunch at work as soon as he told us he could take a break, and the boys worked hard together to clean up the front and back porches to give Mike a little relief. While they worked, I went to go visit my own Dad, thankful for one more opportunity to live close by on Father's Day. 



After I spent time with my mom and dad, I left and worked a tiny bit more on the house until Mike got off work, and we took him out to Spring Creek Barbecue for a nice, manly Father's Day dinner. We assured him he had time to take the break because the boys had finished a lot of the work he needed to do. All he needed to do was mow the lawn in back and finish up the garage/driveway. 


So we enjoyed a nice dinner together, but you could read the stress all over Mike's face when we arrived home just as it started to storm. This was no-bueno at all. Thankfully it didn't last long, but it definitely did add a lot of stress to the simple task of mowing the yard and having it ready for the next morning. Mike and David were then out in the driveway until way past midnight getting things as organized and presentable as possible (please understand that after he brought back all of his dad's tools after the funeral and then got swamped with work after taking three weeks off, it's been a huge mess back there). 

Sometime over that same weekend, our dryer broke, too, but with Mike as swamped as he's been, we pushed that to the side. Juan and I dried two loads of clothes at the laundromat across the street, and my mom let me come over and wash/dry two more loads of clothes on Monday after the realtor left. We sat outside on her porch and worked on some crafting stuff together while we waited for my clothes to wash and dry. It was actually a very nice, quiet, unplanned afternoon with my parents. 

Funny thing, I ran through my full schedule for the week with my mom, telling her all about my doctor's appointment, my plan to hang out with Mike and David on Wednesday when the house officially went on the market and we waited for showings to be scheduled, hanging out with a friend in Rockwall on Thursday, and attending a funeral on Friday. I definitely wouldn't have time to hang out with my mom more during the week, so I wanted her to understand why. 

But God apparently had other plans for my week. I got up for my doctor's appointment on Tuesday morning, expecting to come back within a hour or so to give me the rest of the day to finish up any last minute house prep before it went on the market the next day, like cleaning the ceiling fans, clean the bathroom, declutter a little more, pack a little more, etc. 

I'm glad I picked comfortable clothes that morning because that's all I wore for the next two full days as I sat in a hospital bed before I ever made it back home from that original doctor's appointment. An appointment I originally had scheduled for June 10th before I realized I still had to work that full day and so rescheduled for the next available date on the 22nd. Little did I know that I'd be battling an infection in my leg on the 22nd and would need that doctor to PUSH me to go to the ER. The way God works out details far in advance is always so comforting and humbling. We may think we're in control of our daily lives, but we really never are. 

I got home from the hospital on Thursday afternoon just long enough to shower and change, only to have to leave for most of the afternoon and evening due to multiple house showings. I pretty much couldn't go home to relax until after 8:30 that night. Then we had to be out of the house by 8:00 the next morning while they showed the house literally all day. We had so many showings and received multiple offers within the first 24 hours that they decided to cut everything off by Friday at 4:00 so we could look through the offers and make a decision. The one good thing about getting kicked out of your house for two days was getting a few extra coffee/card dates with Mike and David (Juan went to the gym) or randomly hanging out with a close friend I haven't been able to see in awhile.


Friday evening our realtor sent us all the offers, and then we talked on the phone with her at 9:30 at night to decide what we wanted to do. We received ten total offers, with the lowest being right at asking price, a few between 10-20 thousand over, and one being way higher, but seemingly a little fishy. We decided to give it till morning to get more information from that person, but never did get the confirmation we needed. However, in the time we waited to hear from him, another strong cash offer came through, $20,000 above our asking price, with a very quick closing date at precisely the date we hoped for but didn't think could happen, the day before we were already hoping to move. Only God. So here I sit, Saturday afternoon, with a contract already signed by both parties. Their option period ends on Friday, so it's not a done deal, but if they don't find any reason to back out, then we close just a few days later. No other offer could close before we wanted to leave. 

I'm just in awe of God and His timing in everything. Literally everything. Juan's car accident three weeks ago totaling his car, leaving him carless and forcing him to stay home a bit more, depend on us a bit more for transportation, and spend more time with us. The insurance settlement coming through right at the time we were looking to switch him to his own insurance, right as he's getting ready to move into his own apartment. The apartment he found, on his own, without a car, right down the road from his work, with a move-in date just a few days before we also hoped to be moving. The way my friend posted something on facebook right as school ended that led me to seek her advice as a realtor friend. The way her colleague in our area was able to meet with us the very next morning. The fishy offer that held us off on accepting other offers on Friday night to give the last offer time to come through on Saturday morning. The way the housing market is in our area right now, allowing us to sell our house as-is for way more than we paid for it. Even the cat bite and the unexpected hospital stay, forcing me to get out of God's way and let Him do His thing. 

So, I did a little last-time baking this afternoon so I could start packing up the kitchen. Between using some gift cards a friend gave us and buying several ready-made meals, I don't think I'll be needing to cook much from here on out. 





I know a lot of hard goodbyes lay ahead and likely more hardships. I can work hard to avoid every pitfall and do "all the right things", make all the safe choices, but I can't avoid those freak accidents like getting bit by my own cat while trying to come to his rescue or by tripping on the sidewalk and bruising my ribs (that kinda happened three days before school started, just like the cat bite happened three days after school ended). Or the truck that changed lanes and didn't see Juan's car in that lane. 

With the way this last week went, I think I'll refrain from saying I have a plan for the week ahead. I think I'm just gonna wait and see what God has planned. 

But I do think I'll do some laundry some time soon. Once the house showings stopped, Mike finally pulled out the dryer and fixed it. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment