About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Pain tolerance

Well, we're three days into summer break, and I've already taken quite a beating physically. I started off Monday morning with appointments for David and I to get some dental work done that they suggested to us a year ago. Our old dentist retired, and you know how it is when you go to a new dentist. Suddenly you have everything wrong with your mouth that needs to be fixed. Well, I finally made sure we had our dental work done before we all go separate ways and are on all different insurances. I had cavities on both sides of my mouth, so I walked out of there with a completely numb mouth. Later that day and the next two days, the inside of my cheeks still hurt from where they injected me in order to numb me. 

And the crazy thing is, I have a pretty serious dental phobia. I mean, to the point where the dentist tells me to go straight to the doctor because my blood pressure is so high, but by the time I get to the doctor, they say my blood pressure is fine. So yeah, you're safe to say that this wasn't a pleasant experience or a "fun" way to start my summer break.

But apparently I needed to get beat up a little more. A sore mouth just wasn't enough.

That evening, while Mike and both boys were outside in the front yard working on landscaping, I heard one of the cats "screaming" this really awful meowy scream. I went running through the house to find out what happened, and I found little Boots hanging upside down in front of the windowsill with his foot caught in the drawstring for the blinds. The more he tried to get out, the tighter it wrapped around his paw. Without any time to think, I just ran to the window and tried to free his foot. When I couldn't, I grabbed his whole body to steady him while I got his foot loose. But out of the extreme distress he was in, he reacted by biting me as hard as he could. And by the time he bit me, somehow he got free and ran away into the other room. About that time, David came running inside to find out what I was screaming about, and I had blood gushing down my legs from four deep puncture wounds. 

I sprayed wound cleanser all over it and put some neosporin on it, and I thought I'd be okay. But I woke up in the middle of the night in throbbing pain.

The next day I babied it, but by about 1:00 in the afternoon, I felt really tired, and I didn't have the energy to do ANYTHING the rest of the day besides sit on the couch and watch TV. In fact, I was in bed before 6:00, and Mike had to wake me up to eat my Wendy's dinner that he brought home. I ate it and went right back to sleep. Unfortunately, though, going to bed so early just  left me to toss and turn the rest of the night. I started running a low grade fever, and for a minute, I thought I might have COVID again. I had just enough achiness that I could NOT get comfortable.

But when I got up in the morning and took one look at my leg, I put two and two together and realized that it must be infected. I went straight to the urgent care clinic as soon as it opened, and she took one look at my leg and said, "This is definitely infected. For any kind of animal bite, you should always come in right away." Animal bites are much deeper than other kinds of wounds.  Well, since I've never been bit by an animal (that I can remember), I just thought I could take care of this on my own. (And I also live with three men who think I'm a big baby, so of course, I was going to be "tough". )Mental note for the next time I hope never happens. 

So now I'm on two different antibiotics to fight the infection in my leg. This was not at all on my radar for my first week of summer break. I'm just thankful I had enough sense to go in to the urgent care early this morning so I could start the antibiotics right away. 

About 16 hours after the incident

About 24 hours after the incident

About 36 hours after the incident. 

Here's to hoping that's all the physical beatings I'm going to have to take for awhile because I really don't have a high pain tolerance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment