About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Wednesday, April 16th

So, we just wished Julian a happy 21st birthday on Monday, but their little sister who never came home to us will celebrate her 12th birthday on Friday, the 18th.  That made two "family" birthdays in a week, one on Monday and one on Friday.  Those two will always have our hearts and they will always be a part of Juan David, so we decided to celebrate at home.  We scanned a picture of both of them together and had a special cake made for both of them.  Mike took the picture in to work Wednesday morning and planned to bring it home when he got off work in the early afternoon.

The cake turned out beautiful, and Mike said it made him feel really good about our plans to celebrate at dinner.  He walked out of SAM's Club with the cake in the buggy only to find that his truck had completely disappeared.  A big red truck, F350, successfully stolen right out of the parking lot in broad daylight.  He ended up pulling up video from the club and watched just how easily those thieves broke into his truck and actually drove away with it.  44 seconds.  It only took 44 seconds to steal a big, red truck out of a busy parking lot right at lunch time!


More than the thought of the truck being gone, the thought of all the stuff that Mike had inside it and in the toolbox just made us sick.  The one positive we kept thanking God for was the fact that if Juan David's social security card had come, Mike likely would have had all of our tax paperwork in the truck to take to the accountant (including ALL of our adoption receipts and expenses, many of which cannot be replaced).  Thank God it's all still locked in a safe, waiting on that social security card. 

Mike spent all day and evening talking to the police and the insurance.  We still had our birthday celebration at dinnertime, although the mood had dampened quite a bit due to the circumstances.  Juan David thought the cake was beautiful, though, and he expressed how much he wished he could just see his sister and know what she looks like now.  I have faith that someday they'll all find each other.


While the boys and I went to church and Bible study that evening, a close friend brought over a vehicle for us to borrow until we had another way to get around.  So thankful to have such great friends in times of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment