About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Fifth stop

The morning after Christmas, we boarded a plane in Indianapolis, IN and flew first to Charlotte, North Carolina, and then on to Baltimore, Maryland. From there we rented a car and drove to Lancaster, Pennsylvania ( four states in one day!) to a cute little motel called the Country Inn of Lancaster. If you're visiting Lancaster, I highly recommend the place. Free coffee, juice, or infused water all day long, free popcorn during the afternoon and early evening hours, free breakfast, a pool and hot tub, a quaint lobby with a small gift shop area, and just a very homey, country feel. 

After we checked in to the motel and unpacked the car, we then drove another half hour to visit my oldest brother, Jonathan, whome I hadn't seen in eight solid years. In fact, the last time I saw my brother was right after our first adoption attempt had failed. We took off on a family trip that Christmas as a way to escape the pain and try to build new memories as a family of three. Only God knew that the next time we'd come, we'd actually bring Juan with us.  This was Juan's first chance to meet his aunt, uncle, and cousins, and it was all of our chance to meet my brother's two youngest kids. 


I cherished the chance to reconnect with my brother and his wife, and I just loved spending time with my sweet niece, Shawnee. The more I talked to her, the more we realized just how similar our personalities are and how alike we are. I love that. :)




Juan didn't take long at all to warm up to this set of cousins. He went upstairs with them, and this is what I found about an hour later. 




They bonded quickly over video games that first night, and I was so surprised at how quickly they continued to bond over the next two days. David enjoyed sitting around the table playing cards, eating venison, drinking coffee, and just talking with his aunt and uncle. While David hung out with the adults (and Shawnee), Juan had no problem playing and entertaining all the younger cousins. His aunt, Jill, commented that he sure is going to make a great dad someday. I am so glad he's finally gotten the chance to get to know this set of cousins. I looked forward to the opportunity to show him around where I grew up on our next stop, Ephrata, Pennsylvania. Almost 25 years to the day since I'd moved away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment