About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Friday, January 1, 2016

A different approach

I'm going to break my tradition on my blog today in an effort to stick with my new "less is more" focus.

I am not making resolutions or setting a bunch of goals. Last year I wrote that I wanted to budget more effectively so I wasn't caught off guard as much by all the boys' expenses, and I wanted to give more. Then four months into the year, Mike lost his job and stayed unemployed for nearly five months. Instead of giving more, God put us in a position to receive more from Him than we ever imagined. Instead of living securely by a carefully planned budget, we had to live week by week, month by month, not knowing where the money might come from to keep up with the expenses of raising two teenage boys.

Not quite the year I had envisioned. It never is, though.

So here is my verse for today, one I hope to claim for the year ahead. It is on a notecard, stapled to the wall in my prayer corner, along with a written prayer underneath.


Psalm 118:24-- This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Thank you, God, for everything on the calendar today, for the life I am blessed to live, and the people I am blessed to know. 

My motto for this year: take it one day at a time, with a grateful heart. Make each and every day count.

(I guess another way to say it might be, "Stop planning and start living." As we've recently seen with the tornado, you never know what tomorrow might bring.)

No comments:

Post a Comment