About Me

My photo

I am a wife, daughter, mother, bilingual teacher, poet, author, women's Bible study teacher, world traveler, orphan advocate, and an adoptive mother.  Our adoption journey has been filled with a lot of hurt and loss, along with even more hope, grace, and healing.  Through it we have experienced more of God than we ever bargained for and have watched Him miraculously redeem our story when we surrendered all the broken pieces to Him.


Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Voices playing in my head

I finished that final edit and sent it back to the editor last night. Besides killing adverbs and eliminating a bunch of to be verbs and helping verbs, I followed her main suggestion to add more dialogue.

"I would love to hear the kids' chatter." That's the way she put it.  So, I added bits and pieces of our actual conversations all throughout the book.  I took out some of my voice and added more of their voices.

That proved a more difficult exercise than I thought. I vividly remember those conversations, but rereading them after I wrote them out took me right back into the moment.  I could hear little "Viviana's" voice in every word she said.

Miss that sweet girl. Can't believe she's almost thirteen already. I sure do hope to find her again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment