About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Voices playing in my head

I finished that final edit and sent it back to the editor last night. Besides killing adverbs and eliminating a bunch of to be verbs and helping verbs, I followed her main suggestion to add more dialogue.

"I would love to hear the kids' chatter." That's the way she put it.  So, I added bits and pieces of our actual conversations all throughout the book.  I took out some of my voice and added more of their voices.

That proved a more difficult exercise than I thought. I vividly remember those conversations, but rereading them after I wrote them out took me right back into the moment.  I could hear little "Viviana's" voice in every word she said.

Miss that sweet girl. Can't believe she's almost thirteen already. I sure do hope to find her again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment