About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Pics from our New Year celebration


My first attempt at making salpicon, a special fruit drink that our friend made us while in Colombia. We didn't have all the right fruits available at this particular time of the year, so I improvised with diced kiwis, pineapples, mangos, grapes, and pears. I added a special soda called Colombiana and mixed it all up together. We all really liked it.  One recipe I saw called for ice cream. Juan David told me it doesn't normally have ice cream on top, but I tried it, anyway, and loved it! We played Spin Uno while eating it.
 

 
 We also played Mexican train dominoes and ate some good ol' chips and queso.
 

 
 Later we had ice cream with arequipe/dulce de leche/(really good caramel treat from Colombia and Argentina) on top.
 
 
 We ate our 12 grapes at midnight while silently making our wishes for the coming year.
 

 
 I forced everybody to gather together for our first picture of the year.
 
We didn't wear yellow underwear, have our pockets full of lentils, or run around the block with a suitcase. But I tried to make sure I added a Colombian twist to our celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment