About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, January 25, 2015

New Colombian friends--all in one day

Thursday morning I woke up feeling a bit tired, a bit drained--just wanting to be comfortable. Having a commitment every single night of the week doesn't always go over so well. So I picked out a colorful, comfortable cotton shirt, and I decided to wear my cute little Colombia earrings (shaped like Colombia with the colors of the flag) and my Colombia bracelet. Little did I know God hand-picked my earrings that morning.  Turned out to be a Colombian kind-of day in more ways than one.

First, Juan David talked excitedly at dinner about meeting a new Colombian friend at school.  Not only is his mother from Colombia, but he also used to attend our church and knew all the same people Juan David knows.

Then, Mike and I went to ReEngage at church shortly after dinner. I noticed a Hispanic lady walk into the room with her husband, and when she sat down beside me, I made a mental note to ask her later where she is from. I could tell by her accent that she was from somewhere besides Mexico. I didn't get a chance to talk to her, but at the end of the meeting, she turned to me and said, "I just want to ask you. Are you from Colombia?"

I knew I hadn't shared anything about our story yet, so I wondered why she asked. "No. I'm not from Colombia, but my son is Colombian and he was raised there."

"Oh. I am from Colombia, and I just asked because I noticed your earrings."

She is from Bogota, and she left her whole family to come here 15 years ago.  She goes back at least once or twice a year. The coolest part of the story was finding out that she is cousins with the mom of Juan David's new friend from school.

We both made new Colombian friends on the same day. Such a small world we live in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment