About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Conflict turned to Blessing

Juan David has been craving a special friendship with someone that he could hang out with ever since he came here. We butt heads over the issue for the whole first year because we simply hadn't bonded yet as a family, so we had to protect our time together.  Plus he didn't seem to understand our rules. #1-We have to know the friend if they're going to hang out outside of school. #2-We have to know their parents. #3-An adult has to be present.

Well, it looks like he finally got his wish this week after a scheduling conflict turned into a blessing. Mike and I had a meeting at church on Thursday night until 8:30, and Juan David had a high school soccer game until 7:30. In order to pick him up, Mike and I would have to miss half of our meeting.  We don't know the other soccer players on this team yet, but I did remember that one of the players is on his other soccer team, too.  We may not know all the families well, but we sure do spend a lot of time together out at the soccer fields during the season. I asked him to ask the other player for his mom's phone number so I could see if she could give Juan David a ride home.

She called me right back, saying, "Sure, we can give him a ride home! You know what, we're having cake and ice cream back at the house when they get home to celebrate my birthday today. Is it alright if he comes over for a bit afterwards to hang out?"

When she brought him home around 9:30, she said, "He is welcome to come over and hang out anytime with us! We love him!"

You know what they liked the most about him? His parents' rules! They said their son has griped and complained about having the meanest parents in the world until he found out that Juan David has all the same rules and guidelines at home. They also found out that they have a ton in common, besides playing on two soccer teams together.

They are currently playing another soccer game this morning, and she already invited him to come over for the afternoon.

Love how God turned our conflict into a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment