About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Blind Side

 
 I still remember sitting in the dollar theater with David in the summer of 2010 during one of our movie marathon dates.  We were in the process of rebuilding our life after the adoption failed, and we were finally beginning to heal.  Julian had recently entered our life, though it would be another year before we met him face to face.  
As we sat in the theater watching The Blind Side, I suddenly found tears flooding down my cheeks, with Juan David heavy on my mind. Michael Oher (main character from the movie) had a brand new chance at life, gained a family, and surpassed all odds, becoming a famous football player.  I just kept thinking, "Why, God?  Why couldn't you give Juan David that chance, too? Why didn't you let him come home to us?"
Tonight Juan David came home saying that he needed to watch The Blind Side for a homework assignment.  We found it online and sat down together to watch it.  I had to translate several parts to him.  Parts that were parallel to his own life.  Wow.  What a humbling opportunity, over three years after the first time I watched it, thinking only of him.  Who knows just how God might use his soccer abilities to help him surpass all the odds that have been stacked against him, just like Michael Oher.
All I can say is that watching it with him tonight was quite an emotional experience, especially remembering the emotions and thoughts it evoked in me the first time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment