About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Texas State Fair

Photo
Photo 
Photo
Photo 
Photo
Photo 
Photo

We ventured out to the Texas State Fair yesterday since we all had the day off and had free tickets (except for Mike).  Personally, I'm not a big fan of the fair.  I think I'm just too cheap to get much enjoyment out of it, and the things that might interest me don't interest the boys.  However, we felt that Juan David needed to experience the fair, so we went.  We warned him ahead of time that everything was super expensive, but we could have fun taking pictures.  

I gave both boys the same amount of tickets to buy lunch and then enjoy an activity.  I soon remembered how quickly Juan David became overwhelmed when faced with all of the hundreds of lunch choices.  Choices are not easy for him, but he did okay, deciding early on that he wanted chicken. Then choosing an activity was just as hard, since he wanted to go on everything he saw.  We made the round through the midway once, then went back around again so he could choose a ride.  David chose to play a game, and then we spent the rest of our tickets on a funnel cake to share.  We told Juan David that it's just an unwritten rule to get a funnel cake at the fair.  He didn't know what a funnel cake even was, but when we got it, his response was, "I'm going to need to do a lot of exercise tonight." Ha.  At least we only got one to share between the three of us.  
We rode the DART (the only form of public transportation) to the fair and back, but we chose the wrong time to come back because the train was jam-packed.  We rode the entire way home standing on the back step surrounded by a bunch of obnoxious high school kids.  Not a fun ride when you're already tired and drained from a long day in the sun.  It reminded us of our public transportation experiences in Bogota, so Juan David enjoyed the fact that for once we couldn't say the experience was more pleasant here.  

We got a few good pictures out of the day, though.  Hope you enjoyed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment