About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Lessons from my kitten

 I wrote this back in December for my writer's group, polishing up a poem I wrote many years ago, but I never ended up publishing the blog post. Today I share it with a sad heart, as my little fur baby went missing yesterday. I had to practice the lesson he taught me as I am trusting God to take care of him out in the cold, hoping He will bring him back home to me. Sure did miss his snuggles this morning, but more than my sadness for me, I am very sad for him to be away from home and lost out in the cold. He's serious about getting in his snuggle time, and I can't imagine how he fared last night. I'm headed out to look for him again this morning.



Lessons from my kitten

 Mornings can be rough, even for a morning person. Added stress and hormonal changes can easily turn into restless, sleepless nights more often than I can count. Though I cherish meeting with God in the early morning hours before heading to work, many days I struggle to roll out of bed. After I’ve pressed snooze at least twice, I finally stumble my way out of the bedroom into the hallway.

After that, I follow a consistent routine. Find the canned cat food, open a new can, spoon out a quarter of the can for each supposedly famished cat (or at least that’s what they want me to think). I save the rest of the can, spoon and all, in the refrigerator so it doesn’t spoil before dinner time. Then I make my way toward the coffee maker, where my thyroid medicine and cup of water wait for me. 

I swallow my daily morning pill with the water sitting in a cup on the counter before I grab a mug from the hook, fill it with water to dump into the top of the Keurig coffee machine so I can make myself my first steaming cup of coffee to start my day. Now I’m finally ready to sit down in my prayer corner, pull out my journal and Bible, and spend the first part of my day with God. 

By the time I sit down and barely set my mug down on the shelf beside me, my kitten doesn’t skip a beat before jumping into my lap. If I’m not careful, he will often jump up on me so quickly that he nearly spills my coffee before I have a chance to even set it down. 

At first I’m annoyed as I haven’t even taken a sip of my coffee yet, but how can I resist those little white paws snuggling right up on my chest? Before I reach my hands toward him to pet his soft fur, he’s already purring loudly. So I rub my hands up and down the fur on both sides of his little body, his neck, and his ears. I cup his little face in my hands and eskimo kiss him as we sit eye to eye, nose to nose. Such a precious little fellow, just wanting to start his day out all snuggled in my arms. He knows he is safe and secure with me. 

While I feel his purring against my chest, God speaks to me through my kitten’s simple desire to begin his day in my arms. I whisper sweet nothings to this little ball of fur, and I hear God saying he wants to whisper those sweet nothings in my ear first thing each day. He wants me to crawl up in his lap and just let him hold me close. When I am in his arms, I am safe. I am secure. I am loved and cherished. 

A little kitten teaches me what really matters, showing me the most valuable way to start my day, regardless of how well I did or didn’t sleep the night before. Regardless of the stressful situations already waiting for me at work. The coffee can wait. 


In my Shepherd’s Arms

In the darkness of the morning

While the light has not yet dawned

Life can feel so overwhelming

As I face today and beyond.

Some hopes already shattered

Faith wants to crumble at my feet.

Strength stolen from my body, 

I can barely stand the heat. 

As I release it all to God,

Surrender ushers in rest.

Like a lamb in my Shepherd’s arms,

I lay my head upon His chest. 

He holds me close to His heart,

Lets me cry out every tear.

His presence eases the tension

And slowly calms my fear. 

When I let Him carry me

Down valleys I’ve not been before.

Weaknesses turn into strengths,

And I feel confident to soar.  

I see purpose in the chaos,

I see provision for my needs.

I feel comfort in His embrace

And safely follow where He leads.


No comments:

Post a Comment