About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, January 17, 2022

Childhood buddies

One of Juan David's childhood friends from his orphanage also came to Texas with Kidsave a year or so after Juan David came here with his sister. He was adopted shortly after and has lived in Austin, TX ever since. 

A year after we finally completed Juan's adoption, he and his buddy reconnected on social media, and we got to visit with him for an afternoon.

They stayed in touch on social media for the last few years, until last summer, Juan decided to take a road trip to go see him. They had such an amazing weekend together reminiscing all of their childhood memories, and they made a pact to get healthier together and to keep each other accountable in many areas of their lives. They bought matching cross rings, and they check in with each other every single day. Juan's entire demeanor changed since that weekend, and I've thanked God many times for that reconnection in his life. 

This weekend his buddy and his adoptive mom (also Colombian) decided to spend the weekend here in Dallas. What a great time we all spent together. They went bowling, went to the aquarium, went out to eat at La Madeleine, and had some long, deep conversations about where they came from, where they are now, and where they're headed. We all went to church together, ate some good Colombian food, and even danced a little to some Colombian music. 

It turned out to be a really nice surprise on this MLK Jr. weekend. Any chance to connect with my son's childhood is priceless to me. And to see him light up when he's with someone who knows his siblings, his story, and where he came from--even better. I even got to give his buddy both of my books. To think that he was there in the orphanage with Juan while the entire first book happened, when the adoption failed, and to know he gets to/wants to read it all now gives me goosebumps. 







I love watching God continue to write my son's story and am still so humbled to be part of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment