About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, January 3, 2022

A cold, teary day

Today was just a cold, teary kind of day. 

They laid my husband's father to rest today, all the while celebrating his life, his personality, and all he contributed to others in his 70 years of life. 

There is a peace knowing he no longer suffers from the dementia that had progressed so rapidly over the last few months, filling him with extreme anxiety as his memory came and went at any given moment. To see the scared "child" he became while trapped in the body of the confident man we knew was heartbreaking. For that reason, we have peace that God took him sooner rather than later. 

But seeing a final date after the dash really hits you, as does seeing that empty shell of a body in the casket, closing the casket, and carrying it out to his burial plot. His life and his purpose came to an end (except for the things he passed on that will continue to live out in his sons and grandchildren, or the impact he made on those he came into contact with). I wish I could have been there with Mike, his mom, and his brothers as they experienced all those things today. But for some reason, God kept me and Juan back at home, sending David and Mike on to Indiana before COVID hit. 

I suppose I could have gotten a rapid test at the (very) last minute and gone ahead alone, but it would have meant leaving Juan to care for himself, and the mom in me couldn't do that. He lived through too many needy moments in his life without a mom to tend to him. As long as God still has him in my home, I will continue to fill in those gaps and respond to his needs. Plus I never would have forgiven myself if COVID turned on him and got worse like it did me a little over a year ago, and like it has done to so many--or if I had developed symptoms later in Indiana and exposed my mother-in-law. Her recent cancer has left her with a very weakened immune system, and I just couldn't risk that. 

So today I sat alone in tears all morning, shifting between my couch and the kitchen table, praying for peace and comfort over them, exchanging texts and pictures with my son, my sister-in-law, and my mother-in-law before and after the service and the burial. I absolutely hated not being there as a family.  Out of all the funerals to have to miss, your spouse's parent should not be one of them.

However, I do see now that God meant for David to be there more than me, and this event will stay with him for as long as he lives. He and Mike are so close, and so much alike. I'm so proud of David for how he just stepped in and has done whatever has been needed during his break. They're able to do and accomplish so much more with him there. That is the mentality and work ethic his grandfather instilled in his son who then passed it on to his grandson. Plus his grandmother is now able to actually get to know her grandson that grew up so far away from her. 

Mike also commented to me that as much as he wished I were there, he realized that my absence freed him up to be able to take care of his mom's physical and emotional needs. He is the oldest son, and it is obvious that she looks to him for her guidance and protection now--and has done so ever since her husband started going downhill over the last few months. 

Here are a few pics that they shared with me throughout the morning to try to include me, as well as some other memories they have made so far on this trip. 

A little golf course inside the casket.
After the service. 
Pallbearers were Mike, Matt, and Mark, 
along with David, Uncle Mike (Stan's youngest brother), and Mark (Matt's father-in-law)

First car in the funeral procession


Peggy and her three sons

And her oldest grandson, David

And a few other memories made:
Playing cards together on Christmas night, soon after they arrived. 

Watching the Cowboys game together with our new Christmas gift attire (I got her the hat and scarf, Mike got her the blanket--and fuzzy socks you can't see)

(Juan got me the jersey)


All bundled up again to go out in the cold

Chicken n Noodles and biscuits, an Alspaugh specialty that Peggy makes every time her boys come to visit.

They got the crane running, almost ready to sell, and actually figured out how to use it.

David operating the bobcat they borrowed from Mike's friend

Fixing up the dump truck 

A little snow that didn't stick around long

Oldest and youngest Alspaugh cousins (I think), David and Wes

To read more about Stan's life, click on this link below:

https://www.redpathfruthfuneralhome.com/obituary/StanleyStan-Alspaugh?fbclid=IwAR2i3BQrsHgqdlLvQEzz7xyhddwYczk-jFJYznqyqZm-ehrXJO6bOnpvsis



No comments:

Post a Comment