About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, December 19, 2020

To feel human again

Oh, how good it is to "feel human" again. I am on Day 26 and feel about 90% back to normal. I went back to work on Monday of this last week and did as minimal as possible. The kids were so happy to have their teacher back, and we spent most of the week just relearning the routine and daily expectations (which we'll have to do all over again in January, anyway.) It sure was hard not to let them hug me or not to hug them when they came close. Such a strange, sad reality we currently live in. Monday went much better than expected, other than getting winded while trying to read to my kids with a mask on. Tuesday seemed much harder, likely because Monday's activity was such a drastic change from sitting on the couch all day. Wednesday I felt pretty good, Thursday even better, and Friday even better. My oxygen finally made it back to 100%, so I knew I was recovering well. I felt so good on Friday that I went out to eat with Mike in the evening. Those little things that I am writing in my gratitude journal every morning, trying hard not to take them for granted. Yes, most people are recovering from this virus, but there are still many that are not or that have to endure quite a bit during hospitalization before they ever do recover. I'm thankful my case did not get that bad. I am praying for those I know that are hospitalized right now. 

I've always been big at planning ahead. I may not share those plans with others, but I always have them. This sickness taught me that I don't have to always plan so far ahead. That maybe I shouldn't. I don't have to have the first week of January planned right now. God gives us one day at a time, and His grace will be enough for tomorrow. Sometimes he knocks us on the ground to remind us that we need to depend on Him alone for today's strength. For today's needs. Maybe all of 2020 has taught me that, as there truly is no real ability to plan ahead. 

One day at a time. Live it to the fullest, as much as your mind and body (and finances) allow. 

Here's to hoping we're all healthy in our home this coming week and can spend Christmas together. 





No comments:

Post a Comment