About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, December 12, 2020

Recovering

Today is Day 20. I have been fever free since late Monday afternoon on Day 15. I stayed in my room until Tuesday afternoon, 24 hours after taking my last panicked Tylenol for what likely wasn't even a fever. I came out of my room rather nervously and still felt the need to keep my distance from everyone, even though the health department said I was no longer contagious once I hit that point. 

Wednesday I just felt tired all day, so I laid around doing pretty much absolutely nothing, realizing sadly that this might be my life for awhile- so contrary to my normally constantly productive lifestyle, always trying to stay a few steps ahead. Not this week for me, though. I stare at the sink full of dirty dishes and  then just walk away to the comfort of the couch. 

My sweet neighbor found out that I was not feeling well and sent over a bag full of two dozen hot tamales. The next day she brought over chicken, corn, and rice--still hot in the container. I found out that she and her husband had been down with COVID in July, so she understood what I was going through. 

The nurse called on Wednesday to see if I was able to be cleared for work, but I was only on two days fever free (not the three required by the school), so she could not clear me until Friday, technically. I had already decided not to go back to work until Monday, though, so now I am officially cleared. I miss the kids and unfortunately have a lot of reteaching to do after not guiding them much at all for the last two weeks, but I'm nervous about my energy level matching the need for a full day in the classroom. Thankfully it will only be a week, and then I'm off for two more weeks of Christmas break. 

My mom came over on Thursday with lunch and a chai from my favorite little coffee shop by my house. We sat outside and did our craft together that we had originally planned to do together virtually on Black Friday. Thursday seemed a bit early to try to spend time with someone, but the weather was absolutely gorgeous, so we couldn't pass up the opportunity. It really made my day to see her, plus she made this cute little plaque that I know she poured a ton of love into making for me. And then she got to see the poem in action when I met on video with three of my virtual learners. 



I can't wait to put the plaque up in my room at school, right by my computer. 

So Thursday turned out pretty well, but then I continued to have nightmares on Thursday night, waking me up often, drenched in sweat with my heart beating super fast. I can vividly remember several of them, all with me in a panic because I couldn't breathe. That kept me down most of the day on Friday, unfortunately, which really discouraged me, knowing it was my last "school" day to stay home, and I could barely get off the couch. Since the nightmares started on Monday night when I started taking my normal dose of magnesium at night to help me sleep, I wondered if the nightmares were tied to the magnesium. So last night I didn't take anything, and the nightmares ceased. I still am struggling with waking up to night sweats (a common lingering effect post-COVID that I read about), but at least I'm not waking up in any kind of panic. 

Today I woke up feeling much better but am still taking it slow so I can make it to church with my family tonight. I figured I better at least try to leave the house once or twice before attempting going to work on Monday, but at the same time, I am cautiously conserving every bit of my energy until then. In fact, I even ordered stamps for my Christmas cards online this morning just to not have to try to go to a busy post-office less than two weeks before Christmas. I'm also trying to make some creative meals with the food we still have in the fridge and pantry so I don't have to try to go to the grocery store until tomorrow morning rather than on a busy Saturday. 

I think I might go shower for the day now that I've spent a few hours on this couch. Then I'll come right back and work on getting my week planned out for school--and figure out just how many students are missing assignments. I can't blame them when they had about four different substitutes just this week, none of whom I even know. Looks like this coming week will be review, reteaching, and just reconnecting. It's the week before Christmas, so how much are they really going to be able to learn anyway? 

Stay safe out there. Live life, of course, but don't take any unnecessary chances. This has not been a pleasant experience in any way, nor is it one I would wish on anybody. 



No comments:

Post a Comment