About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Friday, December 25, 2020

Christmas 2020

This Christmas felt so different. My boys got down the tree and decorated for me while I quarantined in my room over Thanksgiving break. Mike put up garland and lights and the lit up nativity outside. As thankful as I am for them doing that for me (because, honestly, none of them really care about decorating the house), I missed a lot of the personal meaning in actually putting up the decorations myself. And since I only made it back to work for the last week before Christmas, I didn't get to decorate my room or celebrate the season with my students with the same enthusiasm as in years past. I finally got my annual names of Jesus tree put up just the other day, along with my nativities from all over the world. 

Christmas came upon me so quickly after being sick for three weeks that I have a hard time believing it's already here. The season has just been so different without Christmas parties, white elephant gift exchanges, potluck dinners with Life Group, etc. I am hoping to just cherish every moment of today with those closest to me.

I am also very sad that I can't get together with my parents for a big Christmas dinner, especially since they are only 17 minutes down the road and not several states away. But watching a friend grieve the loss of her father to COVID yesterday and knowing just how quickly the virus is spreading right now due in part to so many family/friend gatherings, I prefer to keep our distance and protect them.  

2020 has definitely held a lot of disappointments and forced us to change our expectations, but that doesn't mean we can't still be thankful. 

Today I'm thankful to be healthy and able to spend time cooking, cleaning, and eating with my family--something I wasn't able to do on Thanksgiving. Something that many that were infected with COVID are not able to do today. I'm thankful to be fever free, have no lingering cough, to wake up without body aches, and to be able to take a deep breath without it hurting. 

I'm thankful for the chance to gather in person for a candlelight service at church and still feel socially distanced. I'm thankful for twoyoung adult sons who willingly planned their day yesterday around the Christmas Eve service without even being asked to. I'm thankful for my church and my pastor who has faithfully led us through this pandemic, who has admitted was one of the greatest challenges of his life. 

I'm thankful for the quiet morning I got to spend in prayer beside the Christmas tree, with peppermint flavored coffee in my mug, a sweet kitten sleeping beside me, my son sleeping on the couch wrapped up in his new Cowboys blanket, and a mess of wrapping paper and opened gifts all around. 

Here are a few pics of Christmas 2020 in our home and with our family:


A kitten and a Christmas tree. What fun that has been to watch this year! 


My annual Jesus tree. With the kitten on his mission to take down all ornaments, my little tree had to go up outside on my back porch this year. 

Nativities from Mexico, Guatemala, Belize and Colombia,

a little nativity in a box that my mom and I made years ago,

and two teeny, tiny nativities from Spain and Colombia.

The decorations Mike put up outside for me while I was sick and quarantined in my room. I love how the cross shines so brightly behind the nativity, reminding us of why Jesus left heaven to come to earth.

My view of the 2020 version of what may have been the Christmas star, Saturn and Jupiter shining closely together. 
The moon is at the top left, the planets are on the bottom right. 

Bunuelos and natilla, traditional Colombian food at Christmas. Juan made a special trip out to the local Colombian restaurant to pick up his favorite treats that he shared with us. Bunuelos are little round cheese breads, and natilla is a Colombian version of flan. 


Christmas Eve candlelight service at Lake Pointe Church









Traditional pizza after coming home from church before we exchange and open our gifts on Christmas Eve. (A tradition I grew up with as a child)


Sopapilla cheesecake bars--a recipe I saw on Facebook earlier in the day and realized I actually had all the ingredients for! Made for a nice little dessert to go with our pizza. 


My sweet little gift that actually came early on November 1st.  He wasn't too excited about taking  selfie with me. 





Juan's creative way of labeling his gifts for the family this year. Rather than writing names, he drew pictures of us. Leave it to my artsy child. 





A puzzle with Mike's truck on it. Little did I know that he actually had recently told David that he really wanted a puzzle with his truck on it! (AFTER I had already ordered it) 



Now we can match. A nice reminder of where all of our money goes to these days. Money that I am actually truly thankful to be able to invest spiritually into both of my boys. I am very thankful that God led both of them to DBU. 


The jump rope he asked for. 



Mike said, "I got that for your car so we can make it run better and faster."

Juan seemed so confused, until he opened the box and found the coat he had asked for. 


The jersey he had already ordered for himself with my card several weeks ago. 

Annual t-shirts to fit their personalities

And yet another version of Monopoly, one of his favorite games to play on long breaks.

And leave it to me to forget to label a gift and then forget what was in it and who it was for. I had Mike start to open it until I finally remembered it being the first gift I purchased (that actually a friend of mind saw at the store and got for me, knowing I was on the lookout for it!)



Seeing him hold that blue stocking that I bought for him before his first adoption attempt failed still warms my heart and fills me with incredible gratitude.


The biggest stocking stuffer hit that Juan got for all of us--a scalp massager. 



A reindeer neck massager that my kitty won't stop attacking!

Merry Christmas, everyone. Despite all the disappointments and unmet expectations of your 2020 Christmas, may you still find so much to be thankful for. Especially for our Savior who left heaven to be Immanuel, God with us. 









No comments:

Post a Comment