About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Taking things slowly

I missed the opportunity to wake up and drink coffee with this view. 

I finally hit that magic 24 hours of being fever and med free yesterday afternoon, so I finally got to leave the confines of my bedroom. I sat outside on my back porch for quite a while just breathing in the fresh air. I got to eat dinner at the table instead of in my bed, and I sat on the floor in the living room coloring while my husband and sons watched the Cowboy's game together. 

It felt nice to wash all the bedding and towels and blankets in hot water, ridding it of all those COVID germs. My blankets felt so much softer when I went to bed. 

Last night I slept in the same bed with my husband for the first time in 16 days. It felt very strange to have a person on the other side of me rather than my pharmacy sprawled out all over his side of the bed. Even though I've checked the CDC website over and over, and have been told by the health department, that I'm fine if I've been fever and med free for over 24 hours and at least 10 days have passed, I still get nervous that I'll still pass this awful virus onto him. I am hypervigilant about every little aspect of my health now and likely will be for awhile.

I took magnesium before bed last night now that I am not on an antibiotic that doesn't mix well with magnesium, and I must say, I slept much better than I have in a while. I do have nightmares about not being able to breathe, though, and those are kinda freaky. Takes me a few minutes after I wake up to realize it was just a bad dream and that I am just fine. 

This morning I woke up and made my own coffee and breakfast. It felt so very strange. I'd gotten spoiled having everything made for me, but it felt so nice this morning to not have to wait on anyone else to wake up so they could take care of me. 

I sat on the recliner with my coffee and prayer journal, silently taking in the beautiful, peaceful sight of my sweet kitten sitting in front of the Christmas tree.

By the time I got up to shower and get dressed, I noticed that I was definitely already getting worn out. I know I didn't do much, but that's quite a bit after not having been out of bed in two weeks. I, of course, double checked all my oxygen levels out of paranoia, and I am just fine. It was just a reminder that this is going to take time and it's okay to take things as slowly as I need to. I am just going to relax and enjoy the fact that I am able to out and about my house and that I feel good. No pressure to do absolutely anything else. I am just thankful for the mental energy to at least be able to read and write again. 

I still have the option to teach remotely and not have to use my days, but I actually had subs pick up my class for the rest of the week (which is a miracle in itself), so I chose to use my days instead rather than be controlled by a teaching schedule. I finally showered up and made a video for my kids yesterday telling them why I was so sick, that I'm getting better, but that I still need to get stronger before I can come back. I have also met twice with my virtual learners this week just because they haven't had any guidance or connection with a teacher since before Thanksgiving. They begged to stay on as long as possible, so I just let them talk to each other while I held my kitty and just listened.

Oh, and speaking of my kitty, that's one post I never had a chance to write before I got so sick. Meet little Boots, our newest family member, who came home to us on November 1st. He's a sweet snuggle bug, but he's also as curious and energetic as ever, roaming around with eyes wide open, looking for the next adventure to tackle (which is usually the bigger cat, who can't stand him. LOL.) He was a completely unplanned addition, but we just adore him. 









Those little white paws are just the cutest. 






No comments:

Post a Comment