About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, November 2, 2015

Happy birthday, Mike!

Our yearly "a birthday a week" celebrations started again at the Alspaugh house on Halloween. (What were we thinking adding another November birthday to the mix?) Here are a few pics from Mike's birthday.


The boys put their money together and ordered their dad a sign for him to put up in his office at work.


I got him a cool "all-in-one grill tool" that will come in handy when we go camping. It has a spatula, a knife, tongs, flashlight, and thermometer all connected into one gadget, kind-of like a deluxe pocket knife.


Later we followed our yearly tradition of dressing up and asking for candy.  

You can see from their costumes just how differently these boys were raised and the importance put on Halloween. David just got creative and made up something (he's supposed to be a trainer). No money spent, but he's a happy kid. Juan pondered for weeks over what he wanted to dress up as. He finally decided on a "professional killer". (Truthfully, I'm not a fan of any kind of scary, spooky, or develish costume. I like to keep the costumes light-hearted and somewhat silly. However, Juan David came from a culture where Halloween is one of the biggest holidays celebrated, and even in his orphanage, they went all out on costumes and decorating. To say he's highly disappointed in Halloween here is quite an understatement. So, I just go with it, especially since he may not dress up again after this year. I think he's quickly aging out of Halloween.)

No comments:

Post a Comment