About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Healthy Home

Our main goal this summer.  This was a crazy, chaotic year getting used to all the changes that came into our lives as a result of adopting a "child".  The year before that--so incredibly hard and stressful just trying to maneuver through the international adoption process all over again with no idea how to make it work financially.  We're grateful to have it all behind us, grateful to have Juan David home finally, grateful to be rebuilding our finances, grateful to be bonding seemingly well as a new family unit.

We had to work so hard to get through the last two years that we ended up ignoring other areas of our lives.  Like....home repairs, physical health, vacations, etc.  So this summer, for once, we've made it all about us--our family and our home.

So far, we repainted two rooms.  We tore out the carpet in most of the house and replaced it with a nicer flooring that doesn't stink, isn't damaged, and is consistent throughout most of the house.  (Still working on finishing up two more rooms).  We went camping and have another camping trip planned. We sent the boys to an amazing week of church camp, separately. (So good for both of them, plus it gave us one on one time with each of them.) David gets to participate in indoor soccer with his team for the first time.

Yesterday, we joined the gym!  It's definitely been too long since I've been to a gym.  It feels so good to complete a cardio workout, develop a routine with weights, relax in the pool and hot tub, and do something that's taking care of me. The boys absolutely love it.  I think it will be good to break up our days, give them something to look forward to every day, and it gets them helping out more around the house in the mornings so we can leave sooner.  (We let them know exactly how much it is costing us so they can understand the need to show gratitude by helping out more at home.)  Plus I don't have to listen to Juan David beg to go swimming at someone's house because now he knows we'll get to go swimming every day.  (I think the boy is part fish.)  He and David stay together and do most of their workout together.  It's cute to watch them running side by side on their treadmills. 

The age difference has obviously been a big challenge for David, but I think sometimes he likes having someone to look up to.  Juan David is really good with him because he was used to having a sister David's age.  We know that within a year from now, life will change even more.  Juan David will likely have a summer job and will be driving, so this is a great time to keep them bonding for now. 

That's our summer in a nutshell, so far.  Focusing on a healthy home.  I don't know that I'm getting the rest I so desired, but I'm definitely feeling refreshed.


No comments:

Post a Comment