About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Friday, July 25, 2014

The Great RE-Write

Photo: Writers! Want to get published? We send you weekly reviews of publishers accepting submissions of book manuscripts, poetry, and short stories.

Subscribe to Authors Publish Magazine, Completely Free:
http://www.authorspublish.com/?source=facebook&cid=2014-07-butler


This quote has so much truth to it. People always told me I had great writing skills. I believed them. Writing is one of my greatest passions and truly my "element", so I believed what others told me about my writing. I even wrote a book and published it! People still complimented me on my writing ability, and I believed them even more. 

Then I joined a writer's group. 

In our group, we all learn a little bit each time we meet.  A grammar rule (or a change in grammar rules since the 90's when I learned all the rules). A better way to incorporate more voice. Appropriate paragraph size. A way to vary sentence structure. How to cut out passive voice in order to use more active verbs. How to condense. What to cut out. Proper editing techniques. 

I don't learn a whole lot in one sitting. I don't always take something to be critiqued.  I don't even have much to offer as far as critiquing someone else's work. But I listen carefully each time, and then I apply what I learn in that one sitting to my current writing.  I hope it's improving.  I'm learning to say so much more with a lot less words.  

I guess I didn't realize just how much I've learned about writing until the big test came.  Pulling out my past work with the intent to revise and rewrite where necessary. I pulled out chapter one of my book and easily cut out nearly a thousand words.  Unnecessary words. Repetitive words. Once I gave chapter one a complete revision, I kept going. Every chapter needed work. Lots of work. I knew I needed to cut out the passive voice in order to condense my writing, I just didn't know how much.  Wow.  

The story didn't change in any way, shape, or form. The writing improved drastically.  A much cleaner "work of art". I plan to republish it with the second book as a set, as suggested by my friend in writer's group who said she'd work with me to publish them in a few months. 

In addition to having a piece of work that I am much prouder of, it also helped me to relive that first period of connection with Juan David, helping me to deepen the connection we're working on now.  I had so many questions about what went on in his head during that "tragic" time when we didn't come through for him, and now I have him here to ask him.  What a blessing.

So, though I had intentions of keeping this blog much more up to date this summer, my "re-writing" project sort-of captivated me for the last month.  My apologies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment