About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Tired

If there's ever been a year that I've embraced the introvert inside me, wanting to close the door and shut out the world for awhile, this has been that year .  Though our adoption has progressed positively since our first meeting with the men who denied us to see if they would reopen our case, the time and the energy spent on the process, and then the energy it takes to wait it all out have really taken a toll on me.

Next time (there better not be a next time), I think it might be easier to keep our mouths shut and not tell anyone else we're even in the process of adopting (except maybe a few close people who we know understand all the ups and downs of international adoption).  Truth be told, other people's insensitivity and ignorance of the process may just be the hardest part to deal with.  That's why the movie STUCK meant so much to us.  We finally felt like we were not alone.  We finally found other people in our shoes, walking this long, difficult, unpredictable road.

So, maybe the words of this song are a bit more raw than I'm feeling, but the main message is pretty clear.  I'm tired, and I'm worn.  I'm so ready to get back to Colombia (where I hear it's even more stressful to finish up the process over there), to get our son, and to bring him home so we can enjoy a few years with him before he becomes an adult.  I'm tired of dealing with people that don't understand how tedious and bureaucratic this process is, let alone how unpredictable it is.  It's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment