About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Moving along

My agency finally got the paperwork (our referral) from Colombia today, so they are reviewing it and said they'd send it our way asap.  Our next step--send it to immigration, along with more paperwork that I've been filling out.  We're definitely in the final stage here, but still more waiting time stands before us.

 I suppose it's good to not have to be leaving my class for so long during the school year.  I suppose it's good to not have to interrupt David's favorite school year of all.  I suppose there are a lot of positives here.  Yet I remind myself that he's already fifteen years old.  Precious time is just slipping away.

Still, I'm grateful that it's progressing and moving along--because last time, it didn't. (Read From the Mountain...to the Valley...and back! for that whole story.)

Speaking of moving along, our Bible study on James is coming to a close tomorrow night.  It's been a great study.  The Biblical history that I learned about James fascinated me.  The message of the book was pretty clear--live out your faith!  I also memorized quite a bit of the book--almost half.  According to Beth, it should take about five months to really learn it well,averaging a chapter a month, so that gives me another two months at least to finish it (if I can stay committed to the task).

My three favorite verses from James come from the first chapter.  Verses two and three--Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  And verse twenty-seven--Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

I loved being part of the group, but I missed teaching.  I just wasn't near as passionate about being there or about the study as I am when I am teaching it.  I didn't teach in the spring because I thought this adoption would have moved a bit faster, taking me to Colombia around now.  So, now that we're moving along to our summer session, I signed up to teach and asked my friend to take over for me if I'm gone.  Our next study?  Falling in Love with Jesus, by Kathy Troccoli and Dee Brestin.  If you're local, I hope you'll consider joining us!

No comments:

Post a Comment