About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Friday, April 19, 2013

A true hero

Yesterday was a pretty big day for us.  We started out the day remembering our sweet little Colombian girl on her eleventh birthday.  I hope her Mommy made it an extra special day for her, wherever she is.  People still tell me all the time that those kids never should have been split, but I'm not sure I can agree with them.  God had a purpose for her that obviously was not with us, or her brothers.  Who am I to say that the lady that adopted her didn't need her more and hasn't given her more than we could have?  I trust God enough to know she's right where she was always meant to be.  I have an incredible peace about that little girl. Still, we love her and are glad that her brothers have a family that knew and loved her so they don't ever feel like they need to forget her.  Maybe someday God will reunite them all again. 

Later that day, Mike headed to David's school to surprise him at lunch.  He got within two blocks of the school when he noticed smoke coming from a house.  He turned around to check it out and found the whole back of the house on fire! He called 911 and found out through a neighbor that a lady was most likely still inside.  After knocking on the door and banging on the windows, only to get no answer, they kicked the door down and found her still inside, oblivious to the fire.  He had to keep her from going back in to get her cats, who thankfully did not perish in the fire.  Mike said that once the firemen got the fire out, they brought each cat out, safe and sound.

Sadly, David didn't get his surprise visit at lunch.  I picked him up after school, drove by the burned up house, and told him about his daddy's day.  He decided proudly that his daddy had made the better choice.  Who knows, he may have saved that lady's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment