About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, April 13, 2013

A surprise blessing

So, tomorrow is Julian's birthday, and he will be twenty years old.  I felt bad that we weren't there to share it with him, nor had we sent a gift.  We've taken his birthday gift to him in June the last two years, so I assumed we would do the same--as soon as we get legal clearance to travel for adoption purposes. However, considering that he just found out a month ago that his own adoption was not going to work out, it saddened me that we hadn't done anything special for him.  Just because his brother's adoption keeps progressing doesn't mean that we love Julian any less.

When I asked him what he wanted (or needed) for his birthday, he specifically asked for a special kind of cream for his skin.  Odd request for a birthday gift, I know.  I actually had a tube of it sitting on the counter, so I mentally decided that we'll take it to him.

Then I got a surprise message this morning from our dear Colombian friend, saying that she was in Dallas--for the first time in years!  I felt so blessed to see her and talk to her again, letting her know of our progressing plans to return to Colombia as soon as we can.  I even asked her to do us the favor of taking Julian that little tube of skin cream for his birthday!  What a blessing!  (She's headed back to Bogota tomorrow.) God always has impeccable timing for bringing those unexpected miracles our way just when we need them.

So little, but so huge!  I feel so blessed and am once again reminded at how much God goes out of his way to care for the orphan.

No comments:

Post a Comment