About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring break adventures

I am not much of a planner anymore.  I just kind of go and do, with little plans in mind.  "Let's see what we can make of the day, and let's see where the day leads us."

Yesterday we wanted to go see the new Perot museum, but when I went to order our tickets online, we found that the place was pretty much booked.  We were disappointed, but I woke up in the morning and decided we were going to make an adventure out of our day anyway.  I woke David up and said, "C'mon!  Let's go jump on the DART train, head to Dallas, and get off at a park so we can go for a hike or something."  So, we ate breakfast, packed a few things in a little backpack, and we set off.

We hopped on the DART train, and we got off at White Rock lake.  We walked for quite a while, enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere and the fresh air, fed some ducks, stopped for a snack out of our backpack on several occasions, and then we walked back to the DART station to continue our adventures elsewhere.  We got off two stations later, which dropped us off in uptown Dallas. We spent the rest of the day riding the free trolley, eating pizza, exploring the Dallas Museum of Art (free on Tuesdays!), walking through Klyde Warren Park, and just walking all over the place.  We had a blast together.  Some people think that the downside of having an only child is that your child wants to do everything with you because they don't have a playmate.  I find it quite satisfying, that my child truly wants to do everything with me.  We have a very special bond together and love hanging out together, just the two of us.

We were going to go out for a treat before heading back home, but we decided to wait so Mike could join us later.  So, after dinner, we all three headed out to get ice cream together.  It was such a fun day, but by nine o'clock, we were all ready to hit the sack.

Today we're staying close by on our bikes to enjoy the beautiful weather, plus David has to pack to go on his mission trip tomorrow.  He's super excited, and I'm so glad that he gets to go again this year.  Last year he loved every minute of it, and he learned so much about serving others by doing tons of yard work and volunteering in a homeless shelter.  There's a different leader this year, but she's great, so I know she's going to be just as great with the kids as the other guy was.






For a day with nothing planned, I'd say we made the most of it and weren't too disappointed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment