About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Friday, March 8, 2013

So, so proud!


I think I need to take another blog entry to brag on my son again!  This morning Mike got a phone call from David's principal letting him know about an honorable choice that David had made earlier in the week.  David is a safety patrol volunteer, and while on duty, he found a wallet on the ground.  David very honestly turned it in to the office, even after noticing that there was money inside it.  Little did he know that the owner of the wallet actually had enough cash in it in order to pay both his rent and his car payment!  

The principal said that he knows that many other people that might have found it would probably never have turned it in.  They were so proud of David that they wanted to let us know, as his parents, and then they also treated him to a Chick Fil-A lunch at school!  I'm so glad that they went out of their way to recognize him because it shows that they want to make sure that good values are noticed and honored.  

After the principal called Mike,  I got an e-mail from his teachers.  Here's just an excerpt of what they had to say:  

 As teachers who see our students every day and witness countless decisions on a daily basis, stories like his are not only becoming harder to find, but more inspirational to others. I am simply blown away by his honesty and integrity. I don't have children of my own, but I hope that one day when I do I can feel the amount joy and pride that I'm sure you and your husband feel as his parents.
 
I know he didn't think anything of it. I know he thinks we may be over-reacting in our praise for him, but wow! His kindness has taught many students (and adults) a lesson I assure you that we will never forget.
 
Just wanted to share with you how amazed and proud we are to be his teachers!

When I got that e-mail, I thought back to an incident when David was about 8 years old.  He found a ten dollar bill in the bathroom of a local store.  We talked about how there was no way we could give it back to the person who lost it, so we should just give it to God and trust that God would give it back to them in some way.  He very proudly put that ten dollar bill in the offering at church, and God blessed him within days by having a friend invite him to an event that we could not have afforded to take him to.

I mention my memory of that incident because when I picked David up after school today and immediately began telling him how proud I was of his actions, he said that the bathroom incident when he was 8 years old probably led up to him making a similar decision that now involved several hundreds of dollars.  Interestingly, he'd made the same connection with the past as I did.  He still remembered that decision now years later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment