About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Reconnecting

My first "teaching" experience happened to be in a little building in Warsaw, Indiana called the Alternative Learning Center.  I had asked my college advisor what I could do to keep up my Spanish skills for the year before I went to Argentina.  She hooked me up with an opportunity to teach ESL to adults in the evening at this little school,  many of whom spoke Spanish.  I never imagined how life-changing the experience would be, how much I would fall in love with teaching, how close I would grow to my coworkers there, or how this job would open up many doors into my future.  I kept teaching there all through college and even after I got married.  That little school and all the people I met there will always hold a special place in my heart.

Thanks to Facebook, I reconnected recently with one of those amazing coworkers and found out she is visiting her daughter (who graduated from high school with me) not too far from where I live.  Today we met up together at a little Colombian bakery and just had a lovely time catching up.  It was such a great way to start bringing this much needed break to a close.  Plus having a little taste of Colombia again was great!  (We planned to go to a Cuban bakery, but it was closed, so we went to the Colombian one instead.)

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with another great friend who recently moved to Georgia and is in town visiting for one more day.  There's nothing like reconnecting with old friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment