About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A new day, a new year

Happy New Year!  We brought in the new year just as peacefully and quietly as we celebrated Christmas.  David spent the evening with a good friend from church, and Mike and I just enjoyed one another's company. (For the record, I kicked his butt in Scrabble for two out of three games!)

Before David left, he and I brought the year to a close by enjoying a lunch date together, watching a movie at home, and then reading together.  We talked about what were the best things about 2012 and the hardest things, and we talked about what we're looking forward to in 2013.  He's looking forward to another great soccer season with his new team, and he's looking forward to another awesome semester at school with his teacher.  Wow.  The power of a teacher.  That boy's eyes just light up whenever he talks about his teacher, and I am constantly amazed at how much he has learned through him this year.

Mike and I are looking forward to bringing this adoption process to a close as soon as is humanly possible, yet we know that God has a perfect time for that to happen.  We are looking forward to seeing what God has planned for us as a family and how He plans to use us to reach others.  We are also looking forward to watching David continue to grow and mature into the little man that God is creating.  We love him so dearly and love the joy that he brings to our home each and every day.  He is a gift that keeps on giving.

We hope to be able to finally devote some time and finances to fix up our home, replace some carpet, drywall, etc. and to eventually finish our outdoor haven behind the house.  We'll see what God does with our resources this year, but we know from experience that when we give to Him first, He multiplies what can be done with what we have left.

In just a few hours, I plan to pick my little guy up from his friend's house to take him to his sweet twin cousins' birthday party as they celebrate their 8 years of life.  Sickness kept our families separate at Christmas, so it will be nice to spend time with them today.

My goal for the year:  Trust God.  Every day.  For Everything.  Every year is life-changing.  I have a feeling this one is going to be more life-changing than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment