About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, March 15, 2012

....and they're off!


The whole crew from the Firewheel Campus
Ready to head off!


Mission Waco has begun! Lake Pointe's 4th and 5th graders from SURGE are officially off on their mission trip to work with and for the homeless in Waco. I'm so proud of my little guy for his heart to go and serve. When I asked him how much he personally wanted to contribute to his trip, he gave 20% of the money that he had been saving for several months. (He HATES to spend money on ANYTHING. This is the kid that spent $2 on two little cars that he wanted, only to regret it later, saying that it was just a waste of his money.)



Sending him off today took me back to that day back in July that I sent him off to camp for the first time. His best friend at the time couldn't go, so it absolutely broke my heart to put him on that bus, knowing he didn't have a single friend. Fortunately, the two friends that he made at camp have become even better friends now, and they happened to be the two friends I sent him off with today. :)



Tonight when they arrive, they will be having a devotional at one of the homeless shelters and will be meeting the Mission Waco staff. Tomorrow and Saturday they will be working with the homeless shelter and will be working on different service projects. Then Sunday they will be attending Church under the Bridge, which is actually outside and meets under a Bridge. What an experience they will have together. I absolutely love being part of a church that is so mission minded and gets the kids started into missions at such a young age. (I'm secretly jealous that I couldn't have had such opportunities when I was his age. Today when we were talking, I told him that I didn't go on my first mission trip until I was in high school. We counted and realized that by the time he's 11, he will have been on five already--counting this coming summer in Colombia). I personally think there's nothing like a mission trip to change your whole world view and perspective on life.


Keep this group in your prayers, for safety and just to be a blessing and be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment