About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, May 7, 2022

Teacher Appreciation Week 2022

The week turned out fun, and I really did end the week feeling incredibly appreciated. I tried to savor each day, each gift, each surprise knowing that, although I will still be teaching, my teaching career will look very different from here on out. 

Unfortunately, due to inflation, I'm assuming, not a lot of retailers or businesses jumped on the Teacher Appreciation specials like they have in the past. But a few did, so I made sure to take advantage of them. :) Whataburger offered a free breakfast item for teachers all week. I only planned on going once, but David said if he had that chance, he'd be going every day. So I decided to make that my goal, and I did! I've decided that I like the bacon, egg, and cheese taquito the best, though their honey butter chicken biscuit is pretty good, too. Thank you, Whataburger, for a quick and tasty breakfast every morning this week. 





As soon as I got to school on Monday, I saw that Fifth Avenue Nutrition (a cute little coffee shop that David and I like to ride our bikes to) came to brew us each our own specialty coffee. I must say, I can't complain when I have a caramel cheesecake latte to sip on first thing on a Monday morning. 


They served each one with a chocolate covered strawberry on top! Yum!


A student brought me a really nice decorative box with this treasure inside--a glass water bottle with my name on the side!


Another student also greeted me with a beautiful bouquet of flowers.



The next day, several students brought me goodies, including a full box of chocolate covered strawberries, a cold coffee, some chocolates, and a sweet note from a sweet boy in my class. 


After my lunch duty, I came back into my empty room and found this cute little note on my computer from one of my students from last year. 


We got a goodie bag from the Sunshine committee, and inside we found some breakfast items and a coupon for a free iced tea at a really cool tea place not far from the school. 


On Thursday, it was 5 de mayo, and several of us dressed up in our Mexican attire. My coworker and I snapped a "twinsie" pic in our pink shirts. She's a beautiful friend and an absolute gem in my life--also a sister in Christ, so I treasure her friendship.


The same boy that brought me the water bottle and the chocolate covered strawberries brought me more strawberry treats to enjoy on Thursday. 

Friday morning, I stepped outside to go for a walk and noticed this one solo rose blooming. Wow. Even God sent me a flower to brighten my day. :)


But nothing prepared me for how appreciated my kids made me feel on Friday morning when they walked in the door. Gift after gift after gift handed to me. Thoughtful gifts, too--pink mugs, baskets, flowers, cups, etc. Even a pink coffee mug with my name on it. :)

Beautiful color. 

Another cold coffee to perk me up in the afternoon. :)
Two more notes from last year's students. 

A delivery that came after lunch--a sweet bear made of flowers with a beautiful note from a mom I've never even met other than over the phone.
A beautiful flower and poem from the same boy that brought me all the strawberry treats.

Three pink cups and a pink candle. :) My students know me well. 

This view makes me smile as I wash my dishes and look out my kitchen window. I truly feel very loved and appreciated. What a great last teacher appreciation week at Bullock Elementary. Definitely an emotional week, as well, as I officially resigned my position after this school year. I kept putting it off, even though I already fully committed to another job, but I knew my principal really needed me to make it official so he could start looking for the best replacement for a second grade teacher. So I finally did, and now people will start hearing through the grapevine that I'm leaving (precisely what I was avoiding....) Oh, well. Five weeks left. It's going fast!


Then I ended the week by going on a date with Mike last night to get a free sundae for Teacher Appreciation Week.  With, of course, more strawberries. :)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment