About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, May 30, 2022

150 Days Chronologically in the Word

I started my first round to read through the Bible chronologically on January 1st through a program called the Bible Recap. Today is Day #150. 



Normally I read several chapters, sometimes from two different books. Today, I read Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible. I didn't know it was also the center chapter of the Bible before, nor did I know the labor that went into writing this particular psalm. It's more than just the author (thought to be Ezra) pouring out his heart to God. I learned that it's a Hebrew acrostic poem, with each section (containing 8 verses in each one) starting with a subsequent letter of the Hebrew alphabet (and all the lines in the section start with that letter, too).  As a poetry writer, this knowledge gave me a whole new respect for this Psalm, knowing all the time and effort that went into writing it. 

Honestly, this whole experience has been fascinating. I actually listen through the audio while reading on my phone or while I'm out walking, rather than just read it on my own, and I think I may be retaining things a bit more this way. I'm seeing connections, patterns, and an overarching story being played out in ways I never noticed before, and the characters each stand out and mean more to me. I love the way they have you read certain Psalms right along with I and II Samuel and I and II Chronicles to show David's emotion and intimate conversation with God as he experienced specific events. 

I just happened to start Day 1 on January 1st, but you can actually start your Day 1 on any day of the year and read until that day a year later. If you've never read through the Bible this way, I highly encourage you to try it. The Bible Recap is great because after you read/listen to it, there's a lady who then recaps it and gives extra contextual information to help you understand it even more. I'm super glad I heard about it and decided to give it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment