About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, May 1, 2022

Happy May Day!

I love May. All the colors, the flowers, and the celebrations. Being at the end of the school year, it always seems to go by super quickly, so I have to savor every day to make it feel like it's lasting more than a few seconds. 

Today I spend the day with David. He came home for the weekend, so we went out to lunch yesterday to Chick Fil-A to see their newly remodeled store where he used to work. Then we worked on cleaning out parts of the kitchen and living room, deciding what to keep and what to sell in our garage sale. Then we went to church and went out to eat together afterwards. This morning Mike went to work, Juan went to his church, and David and I had another day together. We took advantage of a free Teacher Appreciation meal at Hat Creek, enjoyed a nice lunchtime together, and then came home to go through some more areas of the house. 


I caught David in his bedroom this afternoon looking at his baby pictures and baby books, going through old soccer albums and uniforms, reminiscing over his childhood. So sweet. What a strange feeling to know that we're leaving Texas, but he's not. I'm so thankful we've had the last two years with him so close, and I'm also thankful for how God used the last two years to only allow me to see him on weekends to prepare me to not have him around. It's obvious when he is home that he's got one foot in the door and one foot out, and he sure has appreciated the opportunity to be somewhat independent. Every once in awhile, I have my teary moments when I think about being so far away from him, but I don't think the reality has truly hit me. Honestly, I think having him move away would have been easier than moving away from him will be. 

I loved his transparency yesterday when he told us, "I don't really like coming home every single weekend, but I'm going to do so for as long as I can." Well said. Smart kid. I can think of a few things that I need to adopt his motto for, a few things I just need to take time to appreciate for as long as I still can. 

So that's how I spent my May Day. Wonder what other Teacher Appreciation deals I can find this week. I plan on wearing my Teacher t-shirts all week, with the exception of my Mexican shirt for 5 de mayo on Thursday. With the exception of one of our end of year tests tomorrow (which may take all day long), I hope to have a more light-hearted week and intentionally enjoy my class over the next few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment