About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, December 25, 2021

Christmas morning reflections 2021

I sit here early Christmas morning as the rest of the house sleeps. Just me, my cats, my coffee, and God. Trying to soak in a few moments of peace before making my family a nice Christmas brunch to enjoy together. Because in just a few hours, we'll head to the airport to drop Mike and David off for a flight to Indiana, where they'll stay for the next three weeks. As soon as they come back, David heads straight back to DBU, so I'm trying to savor every moment we are all together. 


Their suitcases are packed and waiting by the door, reminding me to just be present in the moment while they're still here. 

In keeping with tradition, we celebrated the holiday on Christmas Eve. Mike worked all day, and when he requested a special coffee drink from a nearby coffee joint, David and I took advantage of the near 80 degree temps to go for a long walk to get our iced coffees and take one to Mike. I couldn't ask for a better way to spend the last day with David during the break. Just walking together and talking, sipping on our drinks. 

We started the evening before with a small celebration/gift exchange with my parents. I wish we could have done more, but our reality with Mike's family didn't leave us much time. Juan and I will be back to celebrate my mom's birthday with my family tomorrow, though.

We gave them a date in a bag, with gift cards to a coffee shop, a bookstore, and lunch out. We also got them a cute little table, and a dog treat gun for Lulu. They gave us each cash to have a little fun with. 





David's contribution was to put the table together for them.

Last night we all went to the Christmas Eve candlelight service together, got pizza on our way home, and then opened our gifts together. I really enjoyed seeing everyone's thoughtfulness in our gift choices for each other.






Me trying out the new hat that David got for Mike. As you will see, I'm not in the rest of the pictures because Mike hasn't sent them to me yet. So here's the one selfie I got. 


A beard kit from Juan

Juan's initials with Marvel characters from David

Cereal from Juan


A sign I got for Mike. David liked it so much that he got himself one, too. It's basically the tailgate to his truck.


A tube of Adidas socks. :)


The boots David took me shopping for. I love the boots, but I think I loved the shopping trip with David more.

Nice winter sweatshirt for David that will come in handy in Indiana over the next few weeks.

Shirts from my brother, Jonathan, from his company, Kloppmann Architects



Real egg nog

A card from friends with some spending money inside


More Adidas socks


Cool lights for Juan's car




A Cowboy's sweatshirt for Juan, too

A model truck with some cash taped to the side from Juan


A few new t-shirts



A model to put together, along with some cash taped to the side


A new cool family game, along the lines of Scattergories, but with the opposite goal. Instead of one letter and lots of categories, it's one category with all the letters of the alphabet. 

A drink wrapped up. They had to try it before unwrapping it and guess what it was. 









A cool shirt from our very patriotic son, David



A card with his main gift, finding out he will inherit a toolbox from his grandfather.


A card with Juan's main gift, $ to buy some wall decorations he's been wanting.


And me? David got me two pair of boots since they were buy one pair, get a pair free the day we went shopping. Juan got me a Cowboy's jersey, and Mike got me a bunch of fuzzy socks, as he's done for the last 27 Christmases we've spent together. He also ordered me a portable blender I asked for, but they ran out and refunded the money. So I guess he's on the lookout for a different gift. Juan also got me some candles and a gift card to Chili's, which we might just use over the next week. 





Boots and Spazzie got new treats and a treat launcher, but the treat launcher scared Spazzie, so she stayed clear of all pictures. 



Well, Mike is up, so I better get busy on my brunch preparations! 
Merry Christmas!







No comments:

Post a Comment