About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Friday, December 24, 2021

Christmas in heaven

All I want for Christmas is time. To relax. To find peace in the chaos of life. To connect and reconnect with people on a deeper level. Yet Christmas this year will scatter us all in different directions. 

My husband's mom needs him right now. Two surgeries await her in her post-cancer treatment and recovery. I hated the thought of Mike leaving for several weeks, both for emotional, financial, and let's just say it--selfish reasons. But I knew she needed him, and he needed to know he could help in her time of need. My father-in-law, Stan, had been in a hospital for a month of testing to receive a rapidly progressing dementia diagnosis, and then he'd been transferred directly to a nursing home equipped for memory care patients. 2021 turned life completely upside-down on them. 

When we left them after a visit in early October, we knew the next trip would look entirely different. We knew we'd likely given our last hugs to both of his parents together and taken our last pics of them in front of their house, as we could see his memory fade in and out from moment to moment. They'd both finally agreed to sell the house, so Mike knew he'd make another trip soon to help fix it up to get it ready to sell. Getting back up to Indiana has been at the forefront of his mind ever since. So as soon as his mom scheduled her surgeries the week after Christmas, he committed to be there to support her, as well as to work closely with his brother on both the house and their financial affairs related to Stan's care. And, of course, to visit their dad, who may or may not remember either of them. They both suspected it may be the last time to ever see him alive.

After arranging everything financially and with work, he booked tickets for himself (and David) to fly to Indiana on Christmas Day. 

But sadly, the opportunity to see their dad once last time will not present itself. Instead of arranging a visit at the nursing home, they are planning his funeral. Between the end stage of dementia and a recent COVID diagnosis, his oxygen levels plummeted and his body surrendered. We all clearly see God's timing and grace in taking him earlier than we expected, but that doesn't take away the heartache and the reality that their dad is gone. For the moment, we're all at peace, but the next few days, weeks, and months ahead will undoubtedly be very difficult, especially with us living so far away. Please keep all of my husband's family in your prayers. Christmas feels especially sad and numb this year for us, though we cannot even imagine the joy of spending Christmas in heaven with Jesus.

(Although their brother, Mark, wasn't there at the time we took this picture, it is the sweetest smile we have ever captured from my father-in-law, so it's the picture we want to share. It's the Stan we want to remember and have ingrained in our memory.)

No comments:

Post a Comment